PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Purrrfect9
06-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Look's like I'm not the only new person to join today ^_^. I'm Kasi and I found this forum through a member on a reptile forum as well. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Tweets. I've always had a fascination for Birds of Prey, but have never owned/ know someone who trains these wonderful creatures. I live in Oklahoma as well, and go to the same college as tweets. With that said, i'll be lurking about on here, gaining tid-bits of info [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

`Chris L.
06-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Wow, more from Oklahoma. I have thought long and hard about moving there or Texas... its hard to decide

Kasi, It is great to have you here. Please dont hesitate to ask questions and I hope you get some great information from the forums.

What are you studying in Ok. Are you and Shannon in the same Major?

Good luck wth your studies and keep at it. Its sucks but it will pay off in the end [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

Purrrfect9
06-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Oklahoma's pretty nice. We tend to get both extremes here, hot and humid summers, and fairly cold winters. I've lived here all of my life, but I still don't think that I would ever move away ^_^ all of my family is here, so there really wouldn't be a point to unless it was for a job.
Right now my major is Biological Sciences, but I'm going to change this to Zoology this coming fall semester, then I'm going to apply to the vet school here (At Oklahoma State)once I've gotten my bachelors degree. I'm hoping to focus on herpetology in the Vet field, because I can pretty much name any of the decent herp vets (ones that I would trust anyway) in OK on one hand. And no, Shannon and I are not the same major. We actually met because we lived on the same floor in the dorms, and I was the one who gave her the snake addiction [smilie=banana.gif] .

kimmerar
06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Kasi

Welcome. I love herps too - awesome about the vet thing - hard to find a good herp vet - the best person I ever saw with herps was a man that his major was micro biology and herps was his hobby - he taught me alot!! and I turned the info on to my vet (who also uses some of his techniques) that just left to back to kentucky - so now I have a new vet - so far she's OK.

My husband is from Wilson OK by Ardmore - we go snake hunting every year there before the roundup (and after if possible) to relocate snakes - he lived there his whole life - until he met me. Looks like an awesome place to fly birds too.....

Again welcome - another lady falconer - hope it works out - a good BOP vet is hard to find too.

tweets_4611
06-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Yay!! I've pulled Kasi into another forum!! hehe And whereas Kasi's major makes sence with her love of animals, I went the other direction with architectural engineering. I'm still not entierly sure where that came from :P Ah, well, it's always easier to pick up a hobby or learn about something when your not doing it alone ^_^ but if we keep this up, we are going to be into so many unusual things that people aren't going to know what to do :D

Purrrfect9
06-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh man, I think that becoming a falconer would be a complete -dream-! The problem for me is finding a place/house where I could house a BOP. I'm not even sure which species that I would go with either, to tell you the truth. What are the advantages/disadvantages between falcons and hawks? Lol I have so many questions that I don't know where to even begin!

chamokane
06-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh man, I think that becoming a falconer would be a complete -dream-! The problem for me is finding a place/house where I could house a BOP. I'm not even sure which species that I would go with either, to tell you the truth. What are the advantages/disadvantages between falcons and hawks? Lol I have so many questions that I don't know where to even begin!

You've asked a really big question. [smilie=eusa_think.gif] I'll try to give you the short answer.

If you are hunting rabbits or you are hunting birds in heavy cover, some type of hawk will usually be the best choice. If you are hunting birds in wide open country, it's easy to become addicted to watching the sizzling stoop of a falcon.

In most cases, the regulations will require you to start with either a Red Tailed Hawk or a Kestrel. After the two year apprenticeship, there are so many choices that the biggest problem is deciding which exciting bird you want to fly next. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

rchris10s
06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey its nice to have some more Oklahoma people join the forum.