View Full Version : Migrating falconer

Big Foot
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm in the process of moving to Chicago. I've flown both long and short wings in the past and would love to hear from someone who has a basic understanding of the IL laws. I'd like to know what there's to know before speaking to the Dept of natural resources.
If there's anybody in chicago, I'd swap you a couple of beers for your time.
Ricobeeer

Chris L.
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Rico,

welcome to NAFEX. I am sure there are some on here who can help you out.

good luck with your move

Happy hawking

Chris

Eragon
09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey Rico,

I'm in IL. When are you gunna be here? GLFA is having a picnic on the 19th of September, so a week from saturday. If you are here, you should join and come. It'll give you plenty of opprotunity to meet and greet and find out anything you need to know. Where abouts in Chicago are you?

If I can help at all, let me know!

Here is a link to our regs, and if you have any questions I can try to help or find out the answer for you.

http://dnr.state.il.us/LEGAL/ADOPTED/1590.pdf

Big Foot
09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm here already, albeit as a tourist until my greencard comes through. I know there are 2 clubs in IL GLFC and the illinois falconry organisation, ILO has NAFA 'endorsement' on the website, neither of the clubs have gotten back to the mails I've 2 months ago.... i know that they were getting traps ready ect.
1st question: once i have my DNR permit can I buy trap at anytime, or is it seasonal? I've been flying 'professionally' for 2 years, and would prefere not ot get caught up in grading politics ect, but who would be able to accredit my experience, and give me what I need to do my job (man I love saying that!)...So many questions... picnic sounds good, can I catch a ride with someone? I don't have a car and really don't know my way around- I've been here for 3 days.

Eragon
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm here already, albeit as a tourist until my greencard comes through. I know there are 2 clubs in IL GLFC and the illinois falconry organisation, ILO has NAFA 'endorsement' on the website, neither of the clubs have gotten back to the mails I've 2 months ago.... i know that they were getting traps ready ect.
1st question: once i have my DNR permit can I buy trap at anytime, or is it seasonal? I've been flying 'professionally' for 2 years, and would prefere not ot get caught up in grading politics ect, but who would be able to accredit my experience, and give me what I need to do my job (man I love saying that!)...So many questions... picnic sounds good, can I catch a ride with someone? I don't have a car and really don't know my way around- I've been here for 3 days.

IFO is a NAFA affiliate and GLFA is an American Falconry Conservancy (formerly Wild Raptor Take Conservancy) affiliate. I suggest that you send an e-mail to GLFA, the adress is on their website http://www.greatlakesfalconers.org/. They can probably help you better than me.

Where are you moving from? You would have to apply for a permit and show proof that you have been practicing for the 2 years. I'm afraid that there is probably no way around the grading politics. Is your job abatement? Catching a ride will depend on where you live, and if there is anybody around you. I think that they would be able to help you with that too if you explain your situation to them!

Dirthawking
09-08-2009, 10:49 PM
(welc)

Rico, Welcome to NAFEX! Just out of curiosity where are you relocating from? Also, what do you mean that you have been, "I've been flying 'professionally' for 2 years" ?

Also, please sign your posts. Keeps it friendly around here. You can do that automatically by going to user cp.

Again, Welcome!

Big Foot
09-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I was flying and rehabilitatiing birds in the Klein Karoo in South Africa, after which I moved up to the midlands in the united kingdom, and spent a breeding season working for Raptor Propagation Farm, babysitting eyass' and training persuit falcons for the arabian market. When I say professionally, I mean that I got paid crumbs, but spent all day everyday playing with raptors, but hey someone has to be a 'professional' right?
I've been collecting images (see avatar) of birds while doing all this. And it's an ambition of mine to fly different raptors at different quarries in their natural habitat.
ATB
rico

sohighlyunlikely
09-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I was reading your wild take laws and looks like you guys have a pretty good free range on what birds you can wild take.

It said

Raptor - any bird of the Orders Falconiformes or Strigiformes which includes all
hawks, eagles, falcons, kites, harriers, ospreys, and owls.

and take was allowed to all raptors other than

Any wild raptor listed as endangered or threatened by IL or the feds.
ie
Osprey,Mississippi Kite,Northern Harrier,Swainson's Hawk,Short-eared Owl,Barn Owl,Bald Eagle and Peregrine Falcon.

So that leaves a lot of different bird species open for take by my count. I Am I reading your laws right?

Thanks
Steve

Eragon
09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I believe so. No Golden Eagle trapping here though.

Saluqi
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I was flying and rehabilitatiing birds in the Klein Karoo in South Africa, after which I moved up to the midlands in the united kingdom, and spent a breeding season working for Raptor Propagation Farm, babysitting eyass' and training persuit falcons for the arabian market. When I say professionally, I mean that I got paid crumbs, but spent all day everyday playing with raptors, but hey someone has to be a 'professional' right?
I've been collecting images (see avatar) of birds while doing all this. And it's an ambition of mine to fly different raptors at different quarries in their natural habitat.
ATB
rico

Hi Rico,

Welcome to NAFEX. I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but it doesn't sound like your experience includes actual falconry. I'm guessing that most state agencies will require you to go through the apprentice program, and fly either a redtail or an American kestrel for two years. It's a program designed to build your skills as an independent falconer, in the US it is not possible to simply go out and trap birds and fly/hunt them with out putting in the time and effort to meet the requirements of the system. Don't sweat it though, because flying a redtail on rabbits and squirrels will introduce you to the country and quarry that you will be hunting in the future with other birds.

everetkhorton
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
(welc) Rico.

Hawkmom
09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Go to this site to learn more about the American permitting system:

www themodernapprentice.com