PDA

View Full Version : Tethering

tescobedo
07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
My 44 day old tiercel NA gos fights being tethered regardless of height, location, etc. He's been tethered since before he could hop. I've taken him to work since he was 15 days old, placed in a high traffic area at home (I have a 2 year old boy) and he's what I would consider well socialized. I'm struggling with tethering due to the eventual scale damage that will occur at the rate he's bating.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/tescobedo/Maverick/Day38-Pic2.jpg

I'd love to hear some suggestions. As of right now, I've placed him in the mew during the day since his bating has caused me more concern than anything. However, at night he simply will not settle down and placing him in the mew day and night is going to cost me dearly.

`Chris L.
07-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Tony, Does he bate when he is on the bow perch you made? The one you keep him on in the house?

tescobedo
07-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Chris,

He's bated off of various perches (bow and block), including the PVC perch I made.

Saluqi
07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Chris,

He's bated off of various perches (bow and block), including the PVC perch I made.

When is he tethered? Only as it's getting dark? If he is bating as the sun sets and it's getting dark it's because he wants to roost and feels vulnerable. If he bates no matter what time it is, and you've tried different perches, then I'd say he just needs to get used to it and you'll have to tough it out.

My current female, Frieda, bates quite a bit as it's getting dark but then settles right down at dark, and my male from 5 years ago bated like crazy as it got dark. Last night after dinner my wife and I sat out in some lawn chairs and I had Frieda on the fist, it was getting dark and she stayed content, so took off the gauntlet and set it my lap and she just layed down and went to sleep there, go figure.

Paul

`Chris L.
07-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmmm man I know that the scale damage is a concern for sure. I would just get some system that helps decrease the shock on the legs/scales. I like the inline system that has some bungee cord incorporated in the leash to help decrease the shock. Keep us posted for sure.

Falcon Boy
07-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I started Goose's tethering later than i should have and paid for it. He bated for almost 2-3 days straight just running to the end of the leash and face planting once he got there. I'd say [from my experiance with one whole imprint] to just hack it out and make sure the jesses are very very soft and supple.

tescobedo
07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Paul,

The time of day hasn't proven to make a difference. He's definitely making it known he doesn't like it.

Noel,

His anklets are very supple and the jesses are paracord, so we'll see how he holds up.

I'm going to hang tough and keep tethering.

Thanks for the input guys!

wesleyc6
07-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey Tony,
Sorry to hear he is bating. I bet it will pass shortly. My only two pieces of advice would be these. If perch height makes NO difference, put him on something really low. That will help with number two. Make sure your tie out system is VERY short. Most kestrels bate a LOT to begin with and I just give them enough to clear the tail. Good luck buddy!

Falcon Boy
07-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Paul,

The time of day hasn't proven to make a difference. He's definitely making it known he doesn't like it.

Noel,

His anklets are very supple and the jesses are paracord, so we'll see how he holds up.

I'm going to hang tough and keep tethering.

Thanks for the input guys!

Tony,
The problem i had with scale damage actually came from the federal band, not the anklets. The anklets would move along the tarsi just fine, but the band is much more harsh on the scales than the anklets. I didn't really know what to do, but the bird pretty much stopped bating the day after the scale damage appeared.
-Noah

tescobedo
07-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Hey Tony,
Sorry to hear he is bating. I bet it will pass shortly. My only two pieces of advice would be these. If perch height makes NO difference, put him on something really low. That will help with number two. Make sure your tie out system is VERY short. Most kestrels bate a LOT to begin with and I just give them enough to clear the tail. Good luck buddy!

Wes,

I'm sure it will pass too. Since he's my first imprint I'm worried about making stupid mistakes and/or not recognizing problems.

I'm glad to read you made it to Texas safely.

tescobedo
07-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Noah,

I appreciate the insight. Jimmy can attest that I'll wory about the little things to the point of driving myself mad. So, time to take a breath and let things happen. I'm certain his episodes will eventually cease.

Sorry about calling you Noel earlier [smilie=BangHead.gif]

Falcon Boy
07-12-2007, 10:01 AM
No worries, everyone does it at least once [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

sprinthawk979
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
cant wait to see him in action, do you still have the coops too?

i worry myself mad too, but worry my wife madder, lol.

joe

tescobedo
07-13-2007, 06:19 AM
cant wait to see him in action, do you still have the coops too?

i worry myself mad too, but worry my wife madder, lol.

joe

Joe,

I don't have the coops. One accipiter is enough for me.

dfarris
07-20-2007, 11:46 AM
My recommendation...Get that gos flying and killing. Get it more exercise and let it take some aggression out on something.

Short term; Use a spray bottle to spray down your gos with water.

Long Term; Have tidbits readily available. When your bird sits quietly on the perch with out bating...any perch…give a “click click” noise with your mouth (or what ever noise you want) then give it a little tidbit. Continue this....over time your bird will learn to sit quietly longer and you will be to stretch out the time you provide tidbits for your bird for sitting quietly. I hope that helps

KidK
11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey Tony,

What is happening with your goshawk? Haven't heard from you in a while?

I hope you are out hawking in earnest and just not had time to post?

Are you still teathering him?

Jack
11-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I actually did not tether my gos until he was about 75 days old. Well past hard pin. He lived in my den with me and liked to have trashed the entire place. He then went into the mews to free loft. He did very well.
If you have ever tethered a fat hawk out you know it will bate until it breaks it own legs. And what you have is a fat hawk. A fat hawk. He will behave just like a fat hawk too. If you want to avoid problems, keep food available constantly until he is hard pinned and you can mew him without much problem. He is now imprinted for certain and you will not undo what you have already done with him. Besides, you will eventually have to drop his weight and man him to some extent. They change on you at hard pinning.

Jack

Bill
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
And once in awhile you get a bird that hasnt read the books and they just dont "get it". So you have to do what you have to do.

Jimmy
11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey Jack.
Sorry to hear about LB........