PDA

View Full Version : Hello fromWashington State

dfarris
07-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Tell you little about myself. I have always wanted to be a falconer since I was about 5 years old. I watch the movie, “My Side of The Mountain”…and I was hooked. Since then I searched everywhere I could to learn how to be part of this prestigious sport and be part of these raptors lives by doing what they do naturally. About 8 years ago, it dawned on me….The internet!! I immediately logged on, found Brain Talons web page and emailed him. He quickly returned me an email I got a hold of a local falconer and went hawking about 2 days later.

That was the worst thing that could happen! If I thought I was hooked before….Now there was no way out! That falconer became my sponsor and now best friend…I considered him to be part of my family. A few yeas later I was more nervous asking him to be my best man, than I was asking my, now current wife to marry me.

I have flown a good share of hawks. Including: Red-tails, Harris’ (captive and passage) and I rehabbed a Coopers. By far my most favorite bird ever was a Red-Tailed named “Whisper”. I trapped her in Illinois. It has been 5 years since I returned her back to where I trapped her and I still talk about her all the time. My wife made the comment (jokingly), Whisper is the only women she has ever been jealous of…grin. I returned her…Whisper…back to where I trapped her, because she was having mating tendencies towards me and I did not feel that was right for her. I returned her back to the wild. For us in Washington State, people thought she was a small eagle. I flew her at 1420 grams. She took cotton tails and pheasant; she went after a Chihuahua once and a black lab in the vets’ office. She use to eat quail from my mouth and put her wing over my head as to shade me from the sun. Anyways…

I have been married for 3 years now to a long time friend and beautiful women that I have known for 10 years before we got married, who also loves the sport. We now have 2 boys, 20 months old and 6 months old. The older boy watches and does everything I do with the birds since he opened his eyes and always asks to go see the hawks and hold them. He is always trying to whistle to them and call them to his hand.

Currently I have a passage female and male Harris’ from AZ and plan to breed them when they are ready. I am also planning to breed Aplomado falcons when they come to age.

That’s a little about me. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Jimmy
07-12-2007, 04:49 PM
You told us everything except your name........ [smilie=dontknow.gif]

Eagle Owl
07-13-2007, 12:02 AM
hahaha!!! Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you you will have a great deal to offer the forum!!!

Brandi

dfarris
07-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Sorry....My name iis Darrell

`Chris L.
07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Darrel,
Welcome to NAFEX. I hope you enjoy the forums. Please let me know if you need any help with anything.

How old are you aplomodos? Have you had a chance to fly them?. I would like to see some pictures if you don't mind posting them?

Again welcome to the forums and let me know if you need anything

dfarris
07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I currnetly do not have any aplos. I will get a pair next year. I will see if I can find some pictures to post.

I have got to tell you these Peruvian birds are hot! They are social birds like Harris' and will fly in casts. They are fast from the fist and a local friend has caught Partridge with his.

raptrlvr
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Darrel, Those aplomado's are so expensive. Who are you getting your pair from. I would love to fly one, but, alas, I am retired and on a fixed budget. I am moving to a state where they have released ap;omado's back into the wild, so, I might get a chance to see one if I am lucky.

dfarris
07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Aplomados are going for $3500.00 or $3000.00 to breeders.

I do not mean to be unfeeling, but the hard reality is we are inporting several pairs at this time and it is costing a small fortune. Falconers need to contribute to this effort through buying surplus birds at the asking price, or they will need to be patient until the market brings the price down. I don't see the price coming down for a few years.

I hope that helps