PDA

View Full Version : NAFA Meet at Woodward, Ok

Roper
11-27-2009, 12:45 PM
My take on the Nafa Meet in Woodward..
1st and Formost I want to extend a Huge, Huge thank you to Rich Borquist, Mario and Brandi for their tireless efforts in watching the weathering yard.
I view this as one of the most thankless jobs and one of the most unapreciated jobs of this meet. I feel it worth mentioning that it is our responsibility to make sure our perches are safe and secure.
They have made rules that we have to have perches that stick in the ground for a reason. They made the effort to install a fencing ( around the yard, mark off the spots with an 8 ft distance between birds, complete with a gate. this also with providing bow perches if you did not have one. The trailor was equiped with equipment and supplies to make any and all changes necessary to provide a safe enviorment for all. All of this takes time and effort free of charge.... CUDOS to you guys.

As a lot of you guys know I usually bring my horses with me to try and find a place to go roping, I usually am able to find the rodeo grounds and or fair grounds to put my horses .I was able to find a place just up the road to go team roping. These guys could not have been nicer. Gary Wren and Guy whitmarsh joined me and the owner let them chase cattle on horse back and try there hand at roping.. We really had a good time.

IF you guys missed the NAFEX dinner, you missed a fun evening..
The owner was most accomidating concidering that the place closed at 9:00 am and we were there till at least 10:00 pm the staff was most accomidating .. I believe everyone walked out of there with a door price with Noel winning the Grand prize of Telemetry from Marshall. Hats off to the Crys's for putting this together.

Game, Game is where you find it.. and basically it was not in Woodward.
You did have the oppertunity to fly ducks in small ponds especially by the stock yards.
Quite a few guys were driving to the panhandle on a regular basis. There we found jacks, bunnies and pheasants. and quail..
We had two gals from washington join us and we were caught a bunny with their birds within two minutes of being in the field.
I made the treck and was rewarded with some ausome flights with one of our gang "Arnaud" flew his Merlin on quail and with guys from MN that we all flew are redtails in a cast of 3 birds and only had one squawble with my redtail and Grant Andersons bird. Grant quickly seperated the two and that was that.. We had some really qreat flights with the two tails after the jacks. Grant Anderson ended with a jack in the bag.
We then flew our harris's and again we were successful with John Arnt catching a jack with his Tercel Harris.
I did not stay to watch the gal from Washington to fly her tercel Gos , I had a 14 hour drive ahead of me and needed to be at my daughters dinner talbe for Thanksgiving on 1 pm on Thursday .. I made it with only being 1/2 hour late .. All was good
The people of the hotel were most accomidating..I got to talk and visit with people that I only get to see once a year. Two guys from England Gary Wren and Guy Whitmarsh were a blast to see as usuall.
looking forward to next year already...
Hope all you guys made it home safe and sound..

kvc
11-27-2009, 01:12 PM
The falconers at the nafa meet need to thank rich mario and brandi for their hard work I also want to thank mario and brandi for helping me sell my blocks and platforms . I was able to spend thanksgiving with my 90 yr old mom.they are really good people, thanks again guys see ya in denver.

kurt

frootdog
11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
IF you guys missed the NAFEX dinner, you missed a fun evening..
The owner was most accomidating concidering that the place closed at 9:00 am and we were there till at least 10:00 pm the staff was most accomidating .. I believe everyone walked out of there with a door price with Noel winning the Grand prize of Telemetry from Marshall. Hats off to the Crys's for putting this together.

It was fun and there are a lot of pictures but it will take me a while to sort and post them. Give me time.

Game, Game is where you find it.. and basically it was not in Woodward.

The rumors were true. Game WAS hard to find. But as with any NAFA meet by the end of the week you know were to go. The last 2 days were the most successful for me anyway. Prior to that I had one jack and one rat. In the last 2 days I caught 2 cotton tails 1 jack 4 packrats 3 mice and a kangaroo rat. Granted today we flushed 3 cotton tails and 2 jacks and caught 2 cotton tails and one jack so it was not abundant by any means but we were only hawking 15 minutes outside Woodward in Fargo.

jfseaman
11-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I had a wonderful time. Thank you Rich, Mario, Rob H, the OFA crew, Woodward and the land owners and everyone else who helped out for another NAFA well done.

Everyone who was there knows because I wouldn't shut up, I got my first NAFA duck. A drake golden eye. Thanks to my sponsor redtailnut for a solid foundation, Chris Comeaux, Brad Felger, and Karl for additional knowledge and support.

Chris, despite all appearances, I was watching and listening. How to find, setup and fly, knowledge that is passed from falconer to falconer and that would have taken years to learn on my own. Most of the art that is passed on is an oral and by example tradition.

so

While I am busting with joy, this is as much the accomplishment of those that support new falconers my own.

Here is Mel, tiercel Barbary (370 grams/13 oz) with a drake Golden Eye in 'Eclipse' plumage (995 grams/35 oz). I wish I had more/better pics but I was too excited. I'll see what the land owner has today.

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/nafa.JPG

sharptail
11-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Great day Fred,
Accompanyed with the 'none truer' comment, no added pictures could make it any better of post. I enjoyed the words as much as the picture, they are both priceless!

wyodjm
11-29-2009, 12:24 AM
That is a beautiful bird Fred. It was great meeting you and the bird in person. Congrats on the duck.

ATB,

Dan

frootdog
11-29-2009, 01:56 AM
I will add more whan I have time but the OK fish and game deserves a huge round of thanks. Several people thought there was no out of state take or did not fully understand the rules, but the head guy was there on Sun night and explained it and told those interested in trapping that he would get them the permits needed on an expedited basis Monday by noon and several people took him up on the offer and I know a few birds that were trapped in OK at the meet. I think it was $26 dollars extra for the out of state falconry permit they needed.

Roper
11-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Just curious do you guys experience a downward depression (sounds like a weather man don't I )lol after the meet.. hard to get back into things.. my birds seem a little off, when I took them out.. Yes it was a little colder up here in MN, but after finding game in the panhandle like we did and seeing continuious type flying. Now it seems tedious.. I probably just need some coffee . and it is morning... I sure enjoyed seeing the people I saw and meeting people that I have spoke with on here. and meeting some new people ...

ukroper
11-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Well,we are here at Fworth eating b/fast at the super 8 after a night out at the stockyards..waiting on flying home...
This year was a great year,despite the lack of game,wich just goes to prove that its not the number of people at a party,but the quality of those people that count!!...thanks to all that welcomed us again..it was a pleasure...
Special thanks to you David (roper)..you made a couple of dreams come true,
Roper really is a big man with a big heart....
THANKS Y'ALLclapp:D

p.s.
Had a lot of interesting talks this year,especialy people with some beef or another with nafa,or certain officials of nafa...
THE EASIEST WAY TO CHANGE SOMETHING IS FROM WITHIN...
Democracy is the way...

Roper
11-29-2009, 12:21 PM
ah yes the stockyards calf fries and the rodeo chicks.
can ya beat that ..

Flatwater Falconer
11-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Just curious do you guys experience a downward depression (sounds like a weather man don't I )lol after the meet.. hard to get back into things.. ... I sure enjoyed seeing the people I saw and meeting people that I have spoke with on here. and meeting some new people ...

Yep - I'm suffering the post-meet blues right now myself. Had a great time. Found game 2 miles from the hotel out to 6 miles from the hotel. Anyone who didn't? Next meet look me up. I will find you rabbits for your broadwings. No worries. I hated to hear the stories of how folks thought they had to drive 50 miles to find bunnies. It really wasn't necessary to drive that far.

All the best,

jfseaman
11-29-2009, 06:18 PM
As the meet was winding down I found an area with lots of ponds and lots of ducks.

Flatwater Falconer
11-29-2009, 06:28 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/davenport88/DSCN0486.jpg

Yes there were rabbits very close!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/davenport88/DSCN0492.jpg

Took a few falconers out and we got rabbits. We never got further than 6 miles out of town. Believe it!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/davenport88/DSCN0494.jpg

Here's what one place looked like. If there was fresh sign there WERE rabbits.

michaelberan
11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Chance my 13 year old son came with me to the NAFA meet and we both had an awesome time, the game was tough to find but that made it all the more sweeter when we did find a rabbit.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/Titaniumtalons/CIMG2449.jpg

This was the first time Anakin and Padme' flew on a T-perch together.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/Titaniumtalons/CIMG2451.jpg

It was good for both of the birds, Chance learned how to transfer the birds off the kill.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/Titaniumtalons/CIMG2453.jpg

Lowachi
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Guess I can chime in here, now that I'm home and unpacked and leaving for work. Just wanted to get my thanks in to the Quick's:D, Krysie, and the rest for not only being there when I needed them, 'drain the coffee' breaks,( and after hour non-coffee breaks too) but for taking Redtail Boy out hawking with them too. --to say nothing of not letting him fall from the tree, squirrel hawking--hard to explain to the wife that. All & all, a good time. Old friendships renewed, a couple new ones made..it's all good.

Hawkmom
11-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Love the paint roller on the T posts. Looks like you are going on a painting job. Can you imagine what someone thinks when they see hawks sitting on paint rollers in the middle of a field? confuseddtoungeout

Lowachi
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Love the paint roller on the T posts. Looks like you are going on a painting job. Can you imagine what someone thinks when they see hawks sitting on paint rollers in the middle of a field? confuseddtoungeout
Somebody's got to paint the sky blue...........:D

chris kimble
11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I had a great time at the meet! It was a pleasure meeting some of the forum members here and getting to catch up with old friends and make new ones.

I didnt have much trouble finding game. I had more trouble getting my hawk down to weight! In fact I never hawked more than a few minutes from town. I know there are more game rich areas, but I was happy with what I found.

I had the good fortune to arrive on monday just in time to catch up with a group of falconers heading out to hawk rabbits. Among the group was fellow forum member Eric Edwards. Eric not only photographed and videoed us, but even showed off some of his impressive ninja skills;). Below are some of the pictures and the video he shot of my passage Redtail "Scotch".

Scotch loves to soar, but due to the terrain in my area it often doesnt do him much good. However, in Woodward it was a different story!
Let me know if the video doesnt work, I cant see it here at work!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/IMG_00461024x768.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/IMG_00521024x768.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNC2k0t70Qo

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/IMG_00561024x768.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/IMG_00621024x768.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/IMG_00721024x768.jpg

EricADugan
11-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Outstanding video! Few things in the sport like a RT slamming a rabbit from a soar. Congrats. Love the nice light phase of your bird as well.
Eric

wyodjm
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
That was very cool. Really nice.

Roper
11-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Chris
I gotta ask,
If you wanted bunnies ya I think they were close by but
did you just chance it and walk into this field or was it on the printed list. I had land owners come up to me at the weathering yard and offer up their land and phone number but I had made my way out to the panhandle to fly on jacks and was unable to hook up with them..

good for you ,really neat clip on watching the redtail take quarry on a flight like that.

kimmerar
11-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Awesome video Chris. Good job Eric for catching that to share with us. Sorry I couldn't make it to NAFA this year and meet you and some of the other members here!!

chris kimble
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, I was really happy with him! For only 28 ounces he sure hits them hard!

David,
Im from Oklahoma and have hawked that area a few times in the past. This particular spot however, I had never been to. I dont know if it was on the list, because I never looked at the list. I know several others flew their birds there during the week. I was kicking up rabbits around the duck ponds though, honestly. The panhandle is far superior in amount of quarry....theres no denying that! I cherish the few trips I get to make up to the panhandle:D But for me, well I saw more rabbits durring the NAFA meet than I saw in the last month at home! I've been hawking that bird hard for two months and ended up with our first three kills at the NAFA meet!! Of course those of you who are spoiled by triple digit kill counts are probably gonna see things in a different light than I am!toungeout But I was pretty pleased with the amount of game that I saw, and had the weather been a little more cooperative, I think it would have been even better.

And before I forget, I want to send out my own thank you's to everyone who contributed to the meet, from the Meet Chair to the raffle donors, You guys all did a fine job of making a great field meet! And thanks to everyone who took the time to come to the meet as well, I had a blast staying up too late and drinking too much while I got to know some of you!:D

Jay
11-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Just got back in this morning after the 30 hour drive.

Big thanks to Rich and Mario for manning the weathering yard and pulling my bird in at least once when I was running late. And thanks again to Rich for letting me use one of his blocks in the weathering all week. It was nice meeting a bunch of you from the forum.

The people in Woodward were a great bunch. I even had one local stop by the weathering yard saying that he had a pond with ducks on it if anyone wanted to fly. We headed out, waited for his kids to get out of school, and got a duck. When we were done I believe he gave Greg from MN some directions to quail spots on his land.

This was my first NAFA meet and I can not wait to get back! While I can not comment about past NAFA meets to me the duck hawking was unbelievable! I spend most of my time east of Woodward back towards Enid. There were tons of small stock tanks filled with ducks.

My Gyr/Pere ended up putting 4 in the bag (a merganser, a drake mallard, a ring-necked duck, and wigeon). He also had a scaup that he smacked from way up as it tried to come back to the pond and broke its wing. I hate leaving game out so I went out the next day to recover the scaup (with one of the worst hangovers I have had), but it was dead and was on a "sand bar" of thigh deep muck and was unrecoverable, so it did not make it to bag.

Greg and Tasha were out with me for 3 of the 4 ducks and I know got some great shots with those giant cameras they lug around. Hopefully they get some of their shots up soon.

oscarpack@yahoo.com
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I had a great time at the meet! It was a pleasure meeting some of the forum members here and getting to catch up with old friends and make new ones.

I didnt have much trouble finding game. I had more trouble getting my hawk down to weight! In fact I never hawked more than a few minutes from town. I know there are more game rich areas, but I was happy with what I found.

I had the good fortune to arrive on monday just in time to catch up with a group of falconers heading out to hawk rabbits. Among the group was fellow forum member Eric Edwards. Eric not only photographed and videoed us, but even showed off some of his impressive ninja skills;). Below are some of the pictures and the video he shot of my passage Redtail "Scotch".

Scotch loves to soar, but due to the terrain in my area it often doesnt do him much good. However, in Woodward it was a different story!
Let me know if the video doesnt work, I cant see it here at work!

very nice Chris, well done!!!
I didn't get to spend anytime at the hotel in daylight. It was always dark when I left and dark when I got back. Found the mother lode of jacks though, plan on going back soon.
Oscar

Lowachi
12-01-2009, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE=Jay;107475

Big thanks to Rich and Mario for manning the weathering yard and pulling my bird in at least once when I was running late. And thanks again to Rich for letting me use one of his blocks in the weathering all week. It was nice meeting a bunch of you from the forum.

.[/QUOTE]

My pleasure, and Mr' Quick's as well I'm suretoungeout Nice to meet cha

Hawkmom
12-01-2009, 08:37 AM
How can I get one of the NAFA blaze orange hats? Will they be for sale on the NAFA website?

jfseaman
12-01-2009, 08:57 AM
How can I get one of the NAFA blaze orange hats? Will they be for sale on the NAFA website?You can have mine. I wore as little as possible. PM me your address.

Roper
12-01-2009, 09:56 AM
on post 14 is this not the young man that we were teasing at the dinner about eating calf fries and or whats in a hot dog etc...
its all 100% beef ya know...:D

Lowachi
12-01-2009, 11:43 AM
on post 14 is this not the young man that we were teasing at the dinner about eating calf fries and or whats in a hot dog etc...
its all 100% beef ya know...:D
You might have got him too, but you did get my youngest to eat them as well. "Food's food!", he said.

Lowachi
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
How can I get one of the NAFA blaze orange hats? Will they be for sale on the NAFA website?
I'm pretty sure you can get them thru Ev(the sheriff) Horton for $15.00. That's what they were selling for in OK.

GregMik
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Tasha and I just got home last night about midnight. We had a blast even tho the game populations sucked around Woodward.

Thanks to Rich and the Quick's for watching the yard!! You all were awesome!

Greg

latham
12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks to all involved for making a good meet better...the Tuesday night dinner was a good idea and well planned....great to meet new friends and visit with old ones. And, again thanks to the Borquist clan for the weathering yard - everyone can do more hawking with friends while leaving a bird behind knowing it will be as safe, or even safer, as it is at home. As for game, I saw plenty of good flights. That State WMA was excellent habitat and held plenty of quail, etc (dog exercised there) although it was closed for hunting due to the deer season....it is probably open by now if anyone is in the area....Well done to all involved!!

Roper
12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Greg & Tash

glad to see your home .. did you guys remember to get the hoody for Grin?

GregMik
12-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Greg & Tash

glad to see your home .. did you guys remember to get the hoody for Grin?

I tried to get one at the Banquet. I was told there were no XL's left only 2XL's and I was to get a hold of the meet sec in the morning. I found her at about 9am and was told all the NAFA stuff had left earlier.

They told me that if you call Dan or Sue Cicinni and they can get you one.

Greg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Rabbits WERE tough around Woodward, lucky for us we weren't looking for rabbits this year:) We were searching for ducks and there were good populations of them all over. We had a bit of trouble finding them at first, and twice we just ran out of daylight for Sully. Then when we DID find them, Sully wasn't interested :P (Thanks for showing us around Jay!!!) Went out on the last day to the panhandle with some friends and tried to show Sully some wild pheasants (he'd taken a shot at a baggy, but didn't hit it well enough and it ran off). Unfortunately we couldn't locate the pheasants (they were there-we'd SEEN them) and I accidentally flushed 3 meadowlarks in a row. Sully had 3 beautiful stoops on each meadowlark and remounted each time. We were about to throw the baggy pheasant when he got bored and drifted off to the next field and started playing with a flock of dickey birds :P He disappeared and the chase was on. We lost the signal pretty quick and eventually turned around and went back to where we started. He must've been on the ground in a low spot in the middle of that field. Luckily he didn't get himself eaten. I don't think I've ever seen a place so loaded with raptors! Ferruges, redtails, prairies, kestrels and merlins, even a golden :P Craploads of jacks, cottontails, pheasants, some quail...but a scary place to fly. After the meet we went to a friend's in Tulsa (thanks GyrXPeales!!!) and he put us up for a couple more days. It was great getting out with him and his friends. He taught us a couple new braids and a flat knot (still need to work on that one! I knew we should've done one right away with you there!), we played pool and watched a movie. A fantastic way to wind down from the meet:) At the NAFA meet I got out with a lot of friends, made lots of new friends, got to see a bunch of birds fly including a couple merlins, a couple coops (thanks Grant!-can't remember your screen name, I'm afraid....), a perlin (thanks Chris from AR...I can't remember your screen name either, but it was an awesome dayclapp), an aplomado (thanks Mewskeeper!!!)...all in all, a great meetamennnI'll get some pics posted soon-I got lots of great stuff:) I've always wanted to get out with a variety of birds but this is the first year I actually did and I'm tickled pink about it. I still haven't caught anything with Sully yet, but everyone who's seen him fly says he's doing great-he's taking really nice pitches and he waits on overhead with good position. It's just a matter of time and the right slip:)
Tasha

Roper
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
k

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 02:21 PM
an aplomado (thanks Mewskeeper!!!).

Oops! Wrong person! Thanks JArentdohh Although...a Big thanks to Mewskeeper, too! I won his earrings at the Nafex dinner and they're gorgeous! It was great to see everyone at the dinner and over the week! Even if I can't always remember who's who, lol.

GyrXPeals
12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Tasha, Kim and I really enjoyed the visit. Our only regret was thay you and Greg couldn't stay longer. I really enjoyed seeing Sully fly, great pitch and position, just remember that's what the first season is all about.
Now get off your butt and put up the pics of Howie catching that Gadwall.
It's always good to see you and Greg, glad you made it home safe.
My best as always,
Jeff

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Tasha, Kim and I really enjoyed the visit. Our only regret was thay you and Greg couldn't stay longer. I really enjoyed seeing Sully fly, great pitch and position, just remember that's what the first season is all about.
My best as always,
Jeff
Lol, I'm workin on it this very minute:) I've got 2431 pics to go through, but I'll get some up soon, I promisethumbsupp

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Here we go...let's see if this works...this is Jay's falcon "muttonhead" with his wigeon.
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAMuttonhead-10.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Chris from Arkansas (on NAFEX, but I just can't remember his screen name) perlin chasing a pheasant. She grabbed it, just couldn't hang on...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAARChrisPerlin-8.jpg

GyrxPeales's friend Scott's falcon Bullseye-if he weren't fat, he'd a had one:)
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFABullseye-14.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Howie with his Gadwall...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHowie-9.jpg

JArent's male harris Hunter (I think) with the one that got away. He grabbed it, but it got away before anyone else could get there to give him a helping hand.
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHunter-21.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Grant's coop Jet with a baggy Chukar...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAJet-14.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I've gotta go fly Sully now, but I'll process some more and get them posted soon:)

GyrXPeals
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Tasha!!!!
LOL,
Jeff

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks Tasha!!!!
LOL,
Jeff

You're welcome Jeff:) I thought you'd like those:D

GregMik
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
My best as always,
Jeff

Thanks for having us Jeff!! It was great seeing you and Kim again!

We need to talk about that stopper knot again...confusedd Tasha tried to practice it on the way home and we totally messed it up.

Dan's RT was flying awesome! I have some pics of his bird also.

Tell Scott it was awesome of him to let us fly on his ranch!!

Greg

GyrXPeals
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for having us Jeff!! It was great seeing you and Kim again!

We need to talk about that stopper knot again...confusedd Tasha tried to practice it on the way home and we totally messed it up.

Dan's RT was flying awesome! I have some pics of his bird also.

Tell Scott it was awesome of him to let us fly on his ranch!!

Greg

Our pleasure Greg, just wished you lived closer.
Just give me a call and I'll try to talk you through the knot.
Scott still has a woodie from your duck flight, me too hehehe! Great to see a good Gos in action.
Talk to ya soon,
Jeff

GregMik
12-01-2009, 06:42 PM
JArent's male harris Hunter (I think) with the one that got away. He grabbed it, but it got away before anyone else could get there to give him a helping hand.
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHunter-21.jpg

You mean like this person?

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/27Nov09/Guy29Nov09_5277.jpg

Greg

GregMik
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is another one of that same chase.....

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/27Nov09/JohnA%27sHarris28Nov09_5268.jpg

Greg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
You mean like this person?

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/27Nov09/Guy29Nov09_5277.jpg

Greg
Lol, exactly:) I could've been wrong about which bird that was, btw. I THOUGHT it was Hunter, but it could've been Iona, Altair or Chaya...

Takasho
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Howie with his Gadwall...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHowie-9.jpg

:eek: jaww rockon haill

Need I say more?

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
:eek: jaww rockon haill

Need I say more?

Lol, thanks Isaac, I got lucky with that series:) No icky, brushy background to confuse the cameraclapp I thought Howie was pulling off the ducks when he suddenly stood on his tail and just nabbed that gadwall right out of the air. It was an AWESOME flight!

Heatherg
12-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Lol, exactly:) I could've been wrong about which bird that was, btw. I THOUGHT it was Hunter, but it could've been Iona, Altair or Chaya...

Hey Tasha,
I think it is Kaya....Hunter still has some immy feathers, and Iona and Altar look very diffferent (more like their dad)....Kaya looks like her mom (Oban :D)

Awesome Pics!!!!

GregMik
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Lol, thanks Isaac, I got lucky with that series:) No icky, brushy background to confuse the cameraclapp I thought Howie was pulling off the ducks when he suddenly stood on his tail and just nabbed that gadwall right out of the air. It was an AWESOME flight!

And it was not even the frozen mallard in the pic this time!!

Greg

GregMik
12-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Tasha's cam makes a good perch also.....:D

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/27Nov09/Tasha27Nov09_5280.jpg

GregMik
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey Tasha,
I think it is Kaya....Hunter still has some immy feathers, and Iona and Altar look very diffferent (more like their dad)....Kaya looks like her mom (Oban :D)

Awesome Pics!!!!

Kaya was off chasing a different Jack at the time I believe.....

Greg

Heatherg
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Kaya was off chasing a different Jack at the time I believe.....

Greg

OK:D...so one of the other adult girls....I just know that Hunter didnt do a complete moult...and the bird in the pic has all adult feathers...take your pick...obviously I wasnt there....
Great pic at any rate!

Heatherg
12-01-2009, 07:31 PM

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/27Nov09/Tasha27Nov09_5280.jpg
that would be Hunter on Tasha's camera....that is if you were still with Johns group....see the leg feathers....not the same bird in the other pic :D
juvie feathers stand out!

GregMik
12-01-2009, 08:20 PM
that would be Hunter on Tasha's camera....that is if you were still with Johns group....see the leg feathers....not the same bird in the other pic :D
juvie feathers stand out!

Ya I told Tasha that it was not Hunter as he still had juvi feathers. Who knows they all look alike....Clonestoungeout

Greg

PeteJ
12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Great shots Greg and Tasha. Sorry Sully didn't get to score down there, but he'll get after it before too much longer I'm sure. Thanks for sharing the pics. The Howie and Gadwall one is a classic...but I'm a little biased aren't I? Goshawks rule!!

kimmerar
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Chris from Arkansas (on NAFEX, but I just can't remember his screen name) perlin chasing a pheasant. She grabbed it, just couldn't hang on...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAARChrisPerlin-8.jpg

His name on here is thecprice. His name is Chris Price. He was my sponser:D. He really wished he would have got that pheasant in the bag. He was stoked about that flight.

Thanks for sharing your great pics with us.

GregMik
12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Jay was enjoying himself "Out West" at the meet. He wanted a pic of him and a fence post. He says there are none back home....confusedd

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/24Nov09/Jay0124Nov09_0055.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
His name on here is thecprice. His name is Chris Price. He was my sponser:D. He really wished he would have got that pheasant in the bag. He was stoked about that flight.

Thanks for sharing your great pics with us.
Ah! Thank you! I never did catch his last name (yes, I know it was on his name tag, but I would've had to have looked at it, lol). I've got a few more of his bird I'll post in a bit:) That was a really fun day-his bird did totally awesome, too!

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Here's a few of a friend's merlin lure flying
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAArnaudsMerlin-52.jpg
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAArnaudsMerlin-41.jpg
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAArnaudsMerlin-46.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Great shots Greg and Tasha. Sorry Sully didn't get to score down there, but he'll get after it before too much longer I'm sure. Thanks for sharing the pics. The Howie and Gadwall one is a classic...but I'm a little biased aren't I? Goshawks rule!!

Thanks Pete:) I was a bit disappointed, but not too bad. If I would've tried for pheasants sooner we might've come home with something, but I got distracted by the ducks. Too bad Sully wasn't interested in them, the little stinker :P I'm crossing my fingers and praying for snow...I can't wait to show Sully some huns! I KNOW he'll try for those!

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Chris's perlin with the pheasant...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAARChrisPerlin-9.jpg
John's Hunter...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHunter-27.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
John's Aplomado, Will (if I remember right)...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAWill-35.jpg
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAWill-28.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Rob Palmer's 3/4 GyrxLanner Achilles...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAAchilles-21.jpg
Jay's falcon Muttonhead (I know you can come up with a better name than that Jay!!!) with his mallard...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAMuttonhead-3.jpg
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAMuttonhead-4.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Chris's Perlin chasing off a wild Prairie...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAARChrisPerlinPrairie-5.jpg
Heath's (?) Cooper's Hawk...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHeathsCoop-22.jpg
Heath's coop chasing a deer mouse (she got it, too!)
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHeathsCoop-24.jpg
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHeathsCoop-25.jpg

Tasha55403
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Grant's coop Jet...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAJet-10.jpg
Steve Heyne's and his falcon...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFASteveHeynes-7.jpg

Roper
12-01-2009, 10:10 PM
man there are some great px .. if your not moved my seeing them ... you must be dead.

PeteJ
12-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks Pete:) I was a bit disappointed, but not too bad. If I would've tried for pheasants sooner we might've come home with something, but I got distracted by the ducks. Too bad Sully wasn't interested in them, the little stinker :P I'm crossing my fingers and praying for snow...I can't wait to show Sully some huns! I KNOW he'll try for those!
He'll love huns, but he'll have to learn to knock the hell out of them...they don't go down as easily as a duck!

Saluqi
12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Awesome pics Tasha! Keep them coming!

Lowachi
12-02-2009, 02:22 AM

Like a big paint roller at ground level<VBG>toungeout

kimmerar
12-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Awesome pics Tasha - you saw alot of different birds flying. How cool!! That Perlin has really come on in the last 2 seasons. This year is the best yet. She's taken a wide variety of game this year. I love that pic of her chasing off the prairie. What nerve. We don't have prairies here. Well Heath and Chris saw one that stuck around last winter where they are at but that's a first.

Heath is also from Arkansas.

rcklmbr2586
12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
"Dan's RT was flying awesome! I have some pics of his bird also."

Thanks for the kind words Greg! It would have been really nice if she had scored one, but those darn rabbits just didn't want to come out and play! Still good times though, and it was great getting to meet both of you. If you got any nice shots of her, you should send them to me :D
All the best

GregMik
12-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words Greg! It would have been really nice if she had scored one, but those darn rabbits just didn't want to come out and play! Still good times though, and it was great getting to meet both of you. If you got any nice shots of her, you should send them to me :D
All the best

Dan,

You have a gem of a bird! You have done awesome with her. She kept on trying even tho the cover was really thick! She was still crashing the brush until WE called it quits.

Here she is just before she crashed right in front of Jeff and I. You should start a threat of your hunts, and put some pics up of her, you have a cell phone with a cam right?

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/27Nov09/Dan%27sRT29Nov09_5575.jpg

rcklmbr2586
12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
What a great picture! It's the background on my computer now! Was tossing around the idea of doing a thread, but I post pretty much everything on my blog, so i thought it would just be over kill to do it twice.....stuck a pic of you and the gos on there the other day

Takasho
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Heath's (?) Cooper's Hawk...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAHeathsCoop-22.jpg

What's up with the 2 ft. long jesses?

Flatwater Falconer
12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Awesome video Chris. Good job Eric for catching that to share with us. Sorry I couldn't make it to NAFA this year and meet you and some of the other members here!!

I was in the field that day. Chris's hawk is a soaring nut! He's all over the air. The wind that day was fairly steady and strong and the bird took full advantage of it. He was in the air 98% of the time. Only landed a couple of times then up again.

Glad to have met you Chris!

Cheers,

GyrXPeals
12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Dan,

You have a gem of a bird! You have done awesome with her. She kept on trying even tho the cover was really thick! She was still crashing the brush until WE called it quits.

Here she is just before she crashed right in front of Jeff and I. You should start a threat of your hunts, and put some pics up of her, you have a cell phone with a cam right?

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/27Nov09/Dan%27sRT29Nov09_5575.jpg

You've done a great job with your girl Dan, I really enjoyed getting out with you and look forward to doing it again soon. Just goes to show what a motivated apprentice with a great hands on sponsor can accomplish.
See ya soon,
Jeff

frootdog
12-02-2009, 01:14 PM

It's a coop. Fly one and you will understand. :D

Tasha55403
12-02-2009, 01:42 PM
He'll love huns, but he'll have to learn to knock the hell out of them...they don't go down as easily as a duck!
As long as he tries, he'll get one...eventually. He just isn't interested in trying on ducks :P Since we haven't got many duck slips for him and they'd all be mallards I doubt I'll make too much of an effort to enter him on them. Huns and pheasants are what I've got for him...

Tasha55403
12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Like a big paint roller at ground level<VBG>toungeout

:)photoo

Tasha55403
12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Awesome pics Tasha - you saw alot of different birds flying. How cool!! That Perlin has really come on in the last 2 seasons. This year is the best yet. She's taken a wide variety of game this year. I love that pic of her chasing off the prairie. What nerve. We don't have prairies here. Well Heath and Chris saw one that stuck around last winter where they are at but that's a first.

Heath is also from Arkansas.

It was great-I got to see 2 merlins, 2 coops, the perlin, a barbary, a gyrxlanner, several gyrxperegrines, an aplomado...usually it's just redtails and harrises so this was a great year:)
His name IS Heath, cool...I wasn't sure if I'd heard right or not, lol. I don't suppose you know who had the barbary that day? I can send a pic later if that would help...

Tasha55403
12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
"Dan's RT was flying awesome! I have some pics of his bird also."

All the best

She really did do great Dan, you've done a fine job with herclappI didn't get very many good shots of her, but I'll post/send them if there's anything decent:)

rcklmbr2586
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
That would be great! Thanks again

thecprice
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks Tasha for posting the pictures that was a fun day! Heath's last name is Garner, he is here in Arkansas also.The guy that had the new Barbary that day was Mike Wiegle. Not sure about the last name spelling? So glad for the pictures of the pheasant flight, sure wish we could have bagged it!
Chris Price

Tasha55403
12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks Tasha for posting the pictures that was a fun day! Heath's last name is Garner, he is here in Arkansas also.The guy that had the new Barbary that day was Mike Wiegle. Not sure about the last name spelling? So glad for the pictures of the pheasant flight, sure wish we could have bagged it!
Chris Price
Awesome-thank you Chris! And you're welcome, too! I've got a couple more pics of the perlin I'll put up-I've just gotta get 'em processed first. We may not have put that pheasant in the bag, but at least you've got pics to prove she did it:Dclapp

Tasha55403
12-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Chris's English Springer, Harley...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAChrisPriceHarley-18.jpg
Tracy Dewitt's Viszla, Amber (I think)...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFATracyDewittAmber-2.jpg
And Chris's Perlin again...beautiful bird!
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFAChrisPricePerlin-17.jpg

Tasha55403
12-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Dan's RT...I really didn't get anything good, I'm afraid. The light was terrible for taking pics...
http://falconryphotography.webs.com/photos/NAFA2009-Woodward-OK/NAFADansRT_C7G0781.jpg

Justin Monroe
12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
That is some Great Picsclapp
I am even more sorry I missed it now. Next year I will be there without a doubt though. :D

Roper
12-03-2009, 09:34 AM
g man saw you were looking at this thread ..have you looked at the short wing ero gos vs. american gos stuff . ? I would apoligise to the originator on robbing this thread ,, but I started the thread ,so tuff. lol
now I'm talking to myself , arnt I ?

Lowachi
12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
g man saw you were looking at this thread ..have you looked at the short wing ero gos vs. american gos stuff . ? I would apoligise to the originator on robbing this thread ,, but I started the thread ,so tuff. lol
now I'm talking to myself , arnt I ?
Yes you are:D, but as long as you don't answer yerself, it's fine;)

rcklmbr2586
12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
ya, it was a little cloudy for pictures, but they turned out great anyways. Really like that last one too! Thanks for posting them!

GregMik
12-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Here are some more of Jay and his bird.....

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/24Nov09/Jay0224Nov09_0036.jpg

http://gregmikk.webs.com/NAFA09/24Nov09/Jay0324Nov09_0028.jpg

Lowachi
12-04-2009, 01:50 AM
looks good for a boy that "camped out" so he could do the meet. Son if yer friends ain't proud of you, they aught ta be!!! Check out early Alamosa ('77)meet shots...it's my tent in the weathering yard. Glad to meetcha. Says alot. Ol' Jack -tepee living-Oar told me long ago..staying in a motel ain't hawking. Yer gonna start a rendevous movement at the meets!! Now ya just gotta learn to cook over a fire:D

GregMik
12-04-2009, 02:01 AM
With that duck Jay showed quality falconry to the "Falconry Coordinator" of the Ok DNR and the NE director of the OK DNR. They got us the permission to fly these ducks!!

Jay met them at the weathering yrd!!

Greg

Hunter45
12-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Excellent question. They would be handy for controlling the bird, but the following true tale should be a caution about using such jesses.

About 10 years ago, I was flying my then 14 times intermewed RT, Lady, late on a bitter (5 degrees F) December day. After a rabbit beat her to a briar patch, she landed hard in a small tree about 25 feet up.

The momentum from the landing caused her flexible field jesses to flip around the thin branch she was on and "lock" on themselves when she went to move. The harder she pulled, the tighter they became!

Darkness was closing in quickly. I shed my briar chaps and had to shinney up the bole of the tree to the first limb. Encumbered by heavy hunting clothes, it took all the strength a (then) 55 year old man in heavy hunting clothes could muster to pull myself up and make it the rest of the way to where she was. As I swayed back and forth trying to free her I thought briefly, "If I fall, will anyone find me before I freeze to death?" Finally, I got her loose, got down, and called her to my fist.

LESSON LEARNED: I now use a relatively "stiff" leather for field jesses that cannot, under any circumstances, self-wrap like the ones that dire day did!er Believe me when I say you do not want to learn this lesson the way I did!

kimmerar
12-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Excellent question. They would be handy for controlling the bird, but the following true tale should be a caution about using such jesses.

About 10 years ago, I was flying my then 14 times intermewed RT, Lady, late on a bitter (5 degrees F) December day. After a rabbit beat her to a briar patch, she landed hard in a small tree about 25 feet up.

The momentum from the landing caused her flexible field jesses to flip around the thin branch she was on and "lock" on themselves when she went to move. The harder she pulled, the tighter they became!

Darkness was closing in quickly. I shed my briar chaps and had to shinney up the bole of the tree to the first limb. Encumbered by heavy hunting clothes, it took all the strength a (then) 55 year old man in heavy hunting clothes could muster to pull myself up and make it the rest of the way to where she was. As I swayed back and forth trying to free her I thought briefly, "If I fall, will anyone find me before I freeze to death?" Finally, I got her loose, got down, and called her to my fist.

LESSON LEARNED: I now use a relatively "stiff" leather for field jesses that cannot, under any circumstances, self-wrap like the ones that dire day did!er Believe me when I say you do not want to learn this lesson the way I did!

Heath does it to keep a beautiful train. I questioned him about them last year when he told me to use longer jesses on my bird - her train was gone due to a bad tail saver. I asked what about them wrapping a branch? He mentioned to use a stiffer part of the leather from the hide and then took the jess and hit a pen or pencil with it. It did not wrap. Heath said yesterday he was going to join NAFEX - I told him there were pictures of his bird on here - so maybe he will post. Seems like it would also help to grab a longer jess too but that's not what Heath talked about.

FredFogg
12-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Heath does it to keep a beautiful train. I questioned him about them last year when he told me to use longer jesses on my bird - her train was gone due to a bad tail saver. I asked what about them wrapping a branch? He mentioned to use a stiffer part of the leather from the hide and then took the jess and hit a pen or pencil with it. It did not wrap. Heath said yesterday he was going to join NAFEX - I told him there were pictures of his bird on here - so maybe he will post. Seems like it would also help to grab a longer jess too but that's not what Heath talked about.

Not questioning Heath's setup as if it works for him and anyone else, I say go for it. But just throwing this question out to everyone, wouldn't a leash extender do the same job?

kimmerar
12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes Fred a leash extender will do the same. But Heath has been a falconer for 20 + yrs (long before the internet) and long jesses have always worked for him.

GyrXPeals
12-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Either way will work, but you can get a much stiffer jess with flat braids.
This one for a Gos will give you 14" from jess to extender, and you won't get a much stiffer jess, not very likely to wrap.
Just food for thought.
Jeff
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gyrxpeales/FlatBraids001.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gyrxpeales/FlatBraids007.jpg

Hunter45
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Glad to see others see the merit of a "stiffer" field jesse. The length isn't so critical; it's the "floppy factor". Also, guys who fly where there aren't a lot of real trees, like the desert west, probably don't have problem to begin with. (I just never want to climb another tree in the cold in the dark to get a bird down!)

The joy of a forum like this is the perspectives offered from so many different areas, amount of experience, etc. We ALL learn something on NAFEX most every day! So happy to have it as a resource to the falconry community.

kimmerar
12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
The joy of a forum like this is the perspectives offered from so many different areas, amount of experience, etc. We ALL learn something on NAFEX most every day! So happy to have it as a resource to the falconry community.

clapp Yes - this place has always been great about different points of view on the same subject without alot of flack. Well - most of the time. Unless it's political or religous :D. Chris is right - brings out the worst in us.

Thanks Jeff for your post.

GyrXPeals
12-04-2009, 04:41 PM
clapp Yes - this place has always been great about different points of view on the same subject without alot of flack. Well - most of the time. Unless it's political or religous :D. Chris is right - brings out the worst in us.

Thanks Jeff for your post.

I agree Kim!! As far as equipment goes, whatever you're most comfortable with is what you should use. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Jeff

kimmerar
12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree Kim!! As far as equipment goes, whatever you're most comfortable with is what you should use. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Jeff

Yup - and if it does break you can come here and find other options. I didn't like the long jesses myself and next time I will use the extender - if I ever get crazy enough to try an accipiter again. There will be passage goshawks where I'm going :eek:. But I haven't been thinking about that at all:D.

Jay
12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Here are some more of Jay and his bird.....

Greg, Thanks for the additional pictures.

looks good for a boy that "camped out" so he could do the meet. Son if yer friends ain't proud of you, they aught ta be!!! Check out early Alamosa ('77)meet shots...it's my tent in the weathering yard. Glad to meetcha. Says alot. Ol' Jack -tepee living-Oar told me long ago..staying in a motel ain't hawking. Yer gonna start a rendevous movement at the meets!! Now ya just gotta learn to cook over a fire:D

Thanks Rich. Thought about cooking over a real fire, but figured it wouldn't go over so well with the hotel. Next year campfire roasted ducks in the weathering area!

Roper
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Im in I love eating duck on a grill or fry it up with butter , onions, dejon mustard, and or some Hynze 57 perfect...
Maybe next year we should have a game dinner on one of the nights that would be assume with a grills going and beer and bs. a flyin.

Tasha55403
12-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Im in I love eating duck on a grill or fry it up with butter , onions, dejon mustard, and or some Hynze 57 perfect...
Maybe next year we should have a game dinner on one of the nights that would be assume with a grills going and beer and bs. a flyin.
That'd be great...assuming we could catch anything :P Sully's gonna have to work a little harder before THAT happens, lol. We're workin' on that, though...

Roper
12-05-2009, 09:15 AM
t
I have faith ,, you just toss all the game that falcon of yours gets in the freezer and we will grill it up next year for all of us..

NMHighPlains
12-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Those are great.

I love the prairie looking down and the Coop falling out of the tree.

Mike Craig
12-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Either way will work, but you can get a much stiffer jess with flat braids.
This one for a Gos will give you 14" from jess to extender, and you won't get a much stiffer jess, not very likely to wrap.
Just food for thought.
Jeff
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gyrxpeales/FlatBraids001.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gyrxpeales/FlatBraids007.jpg

Nice job of braiding Jeff.
Mike

GyrXPeals
12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Nice job of braiding Jeff.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I appreciate that.
Have a great day bud!!
Jeff

BigJerHoods
12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Jeff,

Weren't you supposed to do a braiding class at the NAFA meet? I was hoping to attend.

GyrXPeals
12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Jeff,

Weren't you supposed to do a braiding class at the NAFA meet? I was hoping to attend.

Yes I was Jeremy, just a beginners class on 4 plaits. I was going to teach the class to do a basic double loop extender. I figured that would cover the basics of a continuous loop, the main body of the braid, and a pull tab loop. From there they could pretty much what they wanted as far as basic equipment goes.
I have a feeling it would have degraded into 8 plait square braids, flat braids and Sennit Rose knots, LOL.
No one braids any better than you, between you, Steve Layman, Mike Craig and Al Ingram it doesn't get much better than that.
I've got your handywork in my collection, works of art my friend.
My best as always,
Jeff

Dirthawking
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Sooooo, why no class held? :D

GyrXPeals
12-06-2009, 05:02 PM
;)
Sooooo, why no class held? :D

I had a class to attend myself that I couldn't get out of. Life is that way sometimes;)
You already know how to do 4 plaits anyhoo Mario, LOL.
ATB,
Jeff

Dirthawking
12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
;)

You already know how to do 4 plaits anyhoo Mario, LOL.
ATB,
Jeff

No I don't! But I am mean with some para cord!toungeout

GyrXPeals
12-06-2009, 05:09 PM
No I don't! But I am mean with some para cord!toungeout

You will next time we meet, LOL. I will be in Kansas next year.:D
Jeff

Dirthawking
12-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Look forward to it!

GyrXPeals
12-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Look forward to it!

Me too Mario!!
Jeff

Tasha55403
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a feeling it would have degraded into 8 plait square braids, flat braids and Sennit Rose knots, LOL.

My best as always,
Jeff

We would NEVER do that to you Jeff!;) Speaking of which, now that I know how to do the flat braid, I need to make Sully some new jesses...:D PS-you are a GREAT teacher! I just really, REALLY wish I had gotten to make the Sennet Rose knot with you there in person-the last part has me stumpedhaill I can only remember 2 steps in my head for directions of any sort. Ah well. Such is life. If we can't figure it out by next NAFA I'm going to corral you for an hour or two in private though:D

GyrXPeals
12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
We would NEVER do that to you Jeff!;) Speaking of which, now that I know how to do the flat braid, I need to make Sully some new jesses...:D PS-you are a GREAT teacher! I just really, REALLY wish I had gotten to make the Sennet Rose knot with you there in person-the last part has me stumpedhaill I can only remember 2 steps in my head for directions of any sort. Ah well. Such is life. If we can't figure it out by next NAFA I'm going to corral you for an hour or two in private though:D

Hehe, just call me Tasha I'll talk you through it.
ATB,
Jeff

BigJerHoods
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Come on now Jeff, no giving that secret away too easy!:eek: I guess it isn't much of a secret anymore. I was disappointed to see a replica of my gear end up in Western Sporting. Craftmanship to the level of a sennit rose should never be available in a catalogue. Falconers should seek out the skilled equipment makers like yourself, Layman, and I guess me too personally and support our craft...that sound too much like a foot stepping up on a soapbox. Sorry!

FredFogg
12-07-2009, 12:45 PM
It's a coop. Fly one and you will understand. :D

I have and I like the jesses a little long for a coops, but not that lllllloooonnnnnggggggg! LOL

GyrXPeals
12-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Come on now Jeff, no giving that secret away too easy!:eek: I guess it isn't much of a secret anymore. I was disappointed to see a replica of my gear end up in Western Sporting. Craftmanship to the level of a sennit rose should never be available in a catalogue. Falconers should seek out the skilled equipment makers like yourself, Layman, and I guess me too personally and support our craft...that sound too much like a foot stepping up on a soapbox. Sorry!

I don't disagree with any of that Jeremy. Heck it took me two years to figure out the Sennit Rose. Now I tie three different versions. But there are a few people out there that can be trusted. Good braider's in their own right, that only braid for themselves and not for the public. The Sennit Rose is, well it's kind of a quest, it's not a secret. I think everyone that ties it took a long time to figure it out that's why we're reluctant at times to give it up. My best advice when asked about it is do your homework, learn some basic fancy knots, Wall and Crown knots, Matthew Walkers, Manropes, Footropes, Daimond Knots, Lanyard Knots, True Sennit Knots. If you get those down you should be able to figure out a Sennit Rose, although it will take you some time to find the combination. It always comes down to the basics no matter what you're trying to do. It also comes down to how much you want it, and if your willing to put in the work required to get it done.
Keep up the good work, it's always a pleasure to see your craftsmanship. Especially the pieces that I own.:D Good stuff brother.
My best as always,
Jeff