View Full Version : Hello from Missouri

Meagan
12-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Well here I go, name is Meagan, I am 23 and a second year apprentice with my 1x-intermewed female red-tailed hawk named Autumn. Going to college and my major is Pre-fisheries and Wildlife with a minor in Spanish. Been hunting mostly squirrels this season and the occasional rabbit when we are lucky enough to bust one up. This area is full of squirrels and I enjoy hunting them. Not sure on what else to say, umm hello there and look forward to commenting on this forum. I've been checking it out now for about two months and enjoy reading all of the logs here.

-Meagan-

hawk_1_lawman_2
12-04-2009, 08:19 PM
(welc) Meagan rtsqrl

samatney
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
(welc)

Meagan
12-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Well thanks one and all...glad to be on here, some great information is provided on this forum. Hope to be posting more on here and gaining more knowledge and information and meeting new people. rtsqrl

tumble
12-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Meagan, I think you'll find this site to be a bit heavier on the info and lighter on the drama, if you know what I mean. ;)

Meagan
12-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah I know what you mean, much more info. and the people here are very light hearted and from what I have read they are very helpful. Glad to see you on here as well...

Kenn Filkins
12-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Meagan,

Welcome to the forum! Have a great time with your RT they are wonderful hawking machines.... and a lot of fun on squirrels. Enjoy.

Dennis Samnee
12-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Meagan,
Welcome to the list.I am from Mo as well,in DeSoto about 50 mi south of St Louis.Any way have fun hawking the tree rats.That is about as fun as it gets!
Dennis Samnee

Migisi
12-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Meagan. Good to see you on NAFEX.

everetkhorton
12-05-2009, 05:44 PM
(welc) Meagan, we always like pictures. Have fun.

Meagan
12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
All righty, I will get some up soon... will have to fish some out of my comp....

bobpayne
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Well here I go, name is Meagan, I am 23 and a second year apprentice with my 1x-intermewed female red-tailed hawk named Autumn. Going to college and my major is Pre-fisheries and Wildlife with a minor in Spanish. Been hunting mostly squirrels this season and the occasional rabbit when we are lucky enough to bust one up. This area is full of squirrels and I enjoy hunting them. Not sure on what else to say, umm hello there and look forward to commenting on this forum. I've been checking it out now for about two months and enjoy reading all of the logs here.

-Meagan-
Welcome to the list, what part of the state are you hawking in? Are you hawking fox or grays? Bob Payne west Missouri (welc)

Meagan
12-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey there Bob, I am hawking in the South East part of Missouri. I live in Nevada, which is about an hour north of Joplin and an hour and a half south of Kansas City. I think I spoke to you about two years back about falconry and you were very helpful in that aspect. We hunt mostly on fox squirrels in this area, though we have taken a grey in an area about 15 miles away from the house in a conservation area. So far we are at 7 squirrels total and 5 rabbits total. The rabbit population near where I live is horrible, so this season my bird decided on her own that she wanted to try for squirrels. I'm not going to complain, its much more fun to squirrel hawk than rabbit hawking. We're at a stopping point at the moment, she recieved a bite to her toe Thanksgiving day and is now on antibiotics. I only wish that the chaps would protect the bottom of the feet but a'las they dont. Almost a week into her meds and the swelling has yet to go down, another visit to the vet is in order on Tuesday when my avian vet is back into the office.

Meagan
12-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Ok so its been awhile but here are some pictures of me and my FRTH "Autumn":

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/MeaganDuf/Myfirstsquirrelkillbutherthird.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/MeaganDuf/Autumnafteraverywindyday.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/MeaganDuf/SecondsquirrelwithAutumn-1.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/MeaganDuf/Autumns%20Album/Picture146.jpg

So ok there was actually only one picture of me in there but I dont have many of me with the bird....anyways have a merry Christmas everyone!

everetkhorton
12-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Nice Picture of both of you! Got to love those eastern Rts.

Rabbit Jaeger
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks for your welcome to me, let me extend a hearty welcome to you. (welc)

Good to see young people in this sport!

Chris L.
01-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Meagan,

Good to have you on NAFEX. Thank you for taking the time to post your pictures. Great looking RT. I like how dark she is. ]

Sounds like you're having a great season so far.. I hope the bite gets better.

looking forward to more of your posts

All the best

Chris

Roper
01-05-2010, 08:44 AM
welcome

Meagan
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Well everyone, the bite on her foot is healed. The scab is slowly coming off, she is still doing a great job and we've got a few more in the bag. Almost to twenty now, but with this freezing weather it is pushing those squirrels to stay in their dens. The weather will be back above freezing next week but until then we'll have to stick with boring ol' rabbit hunting...lol....she did chase some quail yesterday and got a foot full of feathers..a great sign for me...she did catch a woodcock last season, so we'll see what she grabs this season....thanks for all of the kind welcomes...love this site...