PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Black Hills

sharptail
07-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi, I am a long time falconer. I live in the Black Hills, on the Wyoming side.

I currently fly a 6X intermewed Passage Gyrfalcon, a 18 year old misprint Anatum Tiercel and a 3/4 Gyr/Saker Tiercel.

I hawk Sharptails, SageGrouse, Huns and Ducks.

I have(what seems like too many) Engling Setter Dogs.

I recognise several names and am looking forward to meeting more! Jeff

Jimmy
07-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Welcome Jeff!

chamokane
07-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi Jeff:

I hope you enjoy the forum.

I'd be interested to hear about your passage Gyr. If I didn't have a full stable, I'd probably be thinking about trapping one this year - well, someday.

everetkhorton
07-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Jeff
Welcome, Sounds like you have the air covered very well in WY.

qdgban
07-22-2007, 06:31 AM
jeff are you following me? [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]
shaun

Baine
07-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Jeff

Do you stray far from the Hills during the season? I'll be hunting east of Pierre and south of Murdo in November. I'd like to see that gyr fly.

Baine

sharptail
07-22-2007, 03:17 PM
As you likely know, SD has a 10 day out of state license, for the price that most states charge for a whole season.

What do you hunt there?

sharptail
07-22-2007, 03:23 PM
jeff are you following me? [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]
shaun

One is forced to follow what ya can't get ahead of [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

sharptail
07-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Jeff
Welcome, Sounds like you have the air covered very well in WY.

There is a lot of Air to cover here Ev. Yes I am a NAFA Member, we would never get a Passage Peregrine take with out NAFA. Thought I would answer before you asked. Jeff

sharptail
07-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi Jeff:

I hope you enjoy the forum.

I'd be interested to hear about your passage Gyr. If I didn't have a full stable, I'd probably be thinking about trapping one this year - well, someday.

She is a Gray. Flies at about 45 oz. Has killed Sharptails, Sage Grouse, Ducks and Huns.

You are welcome to ask away! Jeff

sharptail
07-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks all, for the welcome! Jeff

NightWarrior
07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey Jeff glad to see you made it as well as Shaun did... I do believe you both followed me... [smilie=eusa_think.gif] Craig

sharptail
07-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Early signs of a natural born leader [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

Baine
07-23-2007, 10:48 AM
As you likely know, SD has a 10 day out of state license, for the price that most states charge for a whole season.
What do you hunt there?

I can't believe someone from Wyoming has a beef about out of state fees : )
non-resident raptor take $200+
non-resident $13 (free in SD)
non-resident $61 small game
I won't even go the big game route

SD fees don't seem much worse than WY to me.

pheasant, sharptail, prairie chicken, occasional partridge
cottontails & a few jacks
the usual waterfowl

Baine

chamokane
07-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Jeff,

What method would you recommend to get a passage Gyr to take a pitch?

Jimmy
07-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Get it off the bench, and into the batter's box........... [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

chamokane
07-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Get it off the bench, and into the batter's box........... [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

Time to check the lid on that jar again. [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

sharptail
07-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Jeff,

Dave, All that you really need to do is Flush Grouse. They can and do fly down Pheasants at will. When they can't catch a grouse from a low pitch, they go up. For a while in the second season she was going over a thousand daily. You do not want them to figure out that they can kill them from lower. Unlike some eyas birds they really are fairly aireal, it is not that unusual for her to dot out for a short while, perhaps 20 min. Jeff in Wyo

sharptail
07-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Gyrs don't do to well in 100+ heat, Jimmy. No It' s not time yet.

Jimmy
07-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Gyrs don't do to well in 100+ heat.

Me neither....

chamokane
07-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Jeff,

Dave, All that you really need to do is Flush Grouse. They can and do fly down Pheasants at will. When they can't catch a grouse from a low pitch, they go up. For a while in the second season she was going over a thousand daily. You do not want them to figure out that they can kill them from lower. Unlike some eyas birds they really are fairly aireal, it is not that unusual for her to dot out for a short while, perhaps 20 min. Jeff in Wyo

Thanks Jeff.

sharptail
10-22-2007, 02:47 AM
What do you hunt there?

I can't believe someone from Wyoming has a beef about out of state fees : )
non-resident raptor take $200+
non-resident $13 (free in SD)
non-resident $61 small game
I won't even go the big game route

SD fees don't seem much worse than WY to me.

pheasant, sharptail, prairie chicken, occasional partridge
cottontails & a few jacks
the usual waterfowl

Baine

Well Baine, today I was in S. Dakota and checked on the price to fly my falcons at just upland birds. I had checked in years past but just wanted to make sure that things had not changed. As I remembered, the real price tag for me to hawk in SD, not including waterfowl, is $114.00 for 10 days. Additional 10 day periods can be purhased at the same rate, bring the total for the 6 month season to over 2000.00.

As far as the $200. for an out of state raptor permit, where else can you go and take an eyess Peregrine Falcon, Goshawk, Coopers hawk, Prairie Falcon, Merlin,ect or trap a Passage Gyr Falcon, Goshawk, ect for 200.00. If you don't like the prices, don't come here, I personally think they are great.

I thought you to be presumptuous to invite your self hawking, I do not know you, and guessed that you, 1) did(or still do) not believe that I am whom I said that I am, and do not do,what I say I do. Or 2) are an undercover wildllife agent looking for a bust, Is this true?

Paranoid, perhaps but it keeps me out of trouble. A thousands pardons for being so blunt, this is how I think.

Baine
10-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Sorry Jeff

I've never seen a gyr fly. I guess I wasn't clear. I was trying to invite you to come hunt in SD on private property. I have an uncle with a large ranch on the Missouri River east of Pierre. There's quite a bit of upland game along with the expected waterfowl.

As for the license prices, I wasn't complaining, only surprised that someone wouldn't pay $100 bucks for some of the best upland game hunting in the US. Sorry it's not in your price range.

I'm not LE but would expect an undercover agent to say the same. I wouldn't call you paranoid, more like hemorrhoid. Have a good season with your misprint. Sounds like he's tailor made for you. : )

Baine

sharptail
10-22-2007, 11:40 PM
It has been 32 years since the first time I was "invited" to go hawking "on my uncles ranch". Somethings never change [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] I didn't fall for it then either.

Baine
10-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Jeff

Only crooks are concerned about law enforcement. It's clear to me that you don't have things in order & I would certainly turn you in if I lived close by. I don't tolerate those who can't abide by our wildlife & falconry laws. You're the kind of slob falconer that makes things tough for those who are legit. Like I said, there's a reason you hunt a misprint.

Baine

sevristh
10-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Ok... I'll ask... What the *&%$ is y'alls problem?? Just kiss and make up. [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

kimmerar
10-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Hmmm???....

qdgban
10-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Jeff

Only crooks are concerned about law enforcement. It's clear to me that you don't have things in order & I would certainly turn you in if I lived close by. I don't tolerate those who can't abide by our wildlife & falconry laws. You're the kind of slob falconer that makes things tough for those who are legit. Like I said, there's a reason you hunt a misprint.

Baine

nice guy ,remind where to avoid?
i can guarnantee you jeff has far more in order than required and is far too polite to respond in kind to your purile presumptuos scathing attack over nothing
your the only person ive met since i came onto this frum that id find it easy to dislike ,go hawkig for a day see if it improves your demeanour [smilie=smileys13.gif]

ps im a bigger crook than youd ever care to cross

sharptail
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Jeff

I would certainly turn you in if I lived close by.

Baine

I guess you just put that topic to rest. Case closed!