PDA

View Full Version : Wa sup from California

bluejack
07-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Howdy folks, My name is Keith Richman I live in N. Calif. Got started in 1970. I like passage merlins and imprint sharpies and I'm mmoulting a 2006 imprint tiercel barbary. He's my first imprint falcon and he turned out real nice.I fly him over my Vizsla named Rainey. If she had wings she'ld be one hell of a game hawk.She caught 10 birds on her own.
I'll post some pictures later once I figure out how.
My best to you all.
Keith

sharptail
07-26-2007, 02:23 AM
Hi Keith, I am new to NAFX also. What do you like to hunt with your Barbary?

everetkhorton
07-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Howdy folks, My name is Keith Richman I live in N. Calif. Got started in 1970. I like passage merlins and imprint sharpies and I'm mmoulting a 2006 imprint tiercel barbary. He's my first imprint falcon and he turned out real nice.I fly him over my Vizsla named Rainey. If she had wings she'ld be one hell of a game hawk.She caught 10 birds on her own.
My best to you all.
Keith

Keith:
Welcome to the site. Thanks for signing your post. If you go into your
profile you can have this done auto for you. Also the Avator is always
nice to see. It sort of put a picture or place with the name. SSHA are interesting birds. I hunt mainly sqr. with a Rt.. Just fits my life style.

bluejack
07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi Keith, I am new to NAFX also. What do you like to hunt with your Barbary

We hunt starlings dove and snipe, birds that will hold for a point. How about yourself?
Keith

bluejack
07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the site. Thanks for signing your post. If you go into your
profile you can have this done auto for you. Also the Avator is always
nice to see. It sort of put a picture or place with the name. SSHA are interesting birds. I hunt mainly sqr. with a Rt.. Just fits my life style.

Thanks Ev I'm pretty green when it comes to posting and using the features on forums like this. I just figured out how to use the quote feature for the first time. So I'll update my profile in a little bit. It's just rare that I can pry the little Mrs. off the keyboard.Squirrel hawking sounds fun, never seen it though.Gotta hawk what ya got.
My best to you.
Keith

Saluqi
07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
My best to you all.
Keith

Hi Keith,

Did you fly the fabled sharpie Pandora? I've heard stories of her great success. You'll have to explain how you imprinted your barbary sometime, I'd really like to hear all about it.

Take Care,

Paul

bluejack
07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Did you fly the fabled sharpie Pandora? I've heard stories of her great success. You'll have to explain how you imprinted your barbary sometime, I'd really like to hear all about it.

Yes, I flew Pandora, it was 7 year streak of very good luck.

As far as imprinting the barbary, I was on the phone with Pete Jungeman a lot, more then a lot. As you probably know Pete is a very knowlegable and insightful falconer and he was very generous with his time.I got him at 14 days.He had all he could eat and never saw me handling the food. He fledged off the roof of my truck at about 46 days and spent the summer up in the clouds bombing Swainson's hawks and harriers. I used the kite and the balloon. But these proved ineffective as air is calm for the 1st 200' or so then it's windy above that. He would launch out on a tirade and when he got enough piss and vinegar out of his system chasing other hawks and things he would come down out of the sky to the kite or balloon. It ended up just being a referene point for him and truth be told he got a helluva lot more exercise and flying skills bombing around then he could with the balloon.
I started flipping starlings and house sparrows for him and he caught on real quick, taking a modest pitch, stooping, and comming back over head for more action. My trouble was with carrying. He wanted to pack everything to the truck and he would not let me pick him up untill he was done eating. I got past this by using a frozen pigeon for a lure.When he had it in his foot I would tid bit him. I was rough at fist but he smoothed out with in a couple of weeks. Once the fall arrived and the birds showed up carrying was no longer an issue. He caught a lot of stuff and only packed 3 times all season.1 time with a sparrow that he took to the truck. 1 time with a starling that he took to a tractor and then allowed me to pick him up, and once with a starling that a pair of redtails robbed him of. That cured him. If he looked like he wanted to bolt I would toss out Mr.Frosty the frozen pigeon and he happilly transferred off his kill. Usually I just picked him up with his kill.He would go in and out of mantling on the fist and he never screamed ever neither at home nor in the field.

Now he's mostly through his molt and I can't weight for the weather to cool down and the season to start.Hope this helps.

Rudd
07-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Tell us about Pandora. Sharpies seem like a great bird. Where in CA are you?

kimmerar
07-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Tell us about Pandora. Sharpies seem like a great bird. Where in CA are you?

Yes - we all wanna hear about great sharpie!!!

Welcome to the forum

sharptail
07-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Keith, I am new to NAFX also. What do you like to hunt with your Barbary

We hunt starlings dove and snipe, birds that will hold for a point. How about yourself?
Keith

I have flown a Barbary years back, She was a great bird. She caught any thing from M. Lark(unintentional) to a Drake Mallard. We had some snipe flights but didn't connect.

`Chris L.
07-26-2007, 09:32 PM
My best to you all.
Keith

Keith,
Welcome to NAFEX. It sounds as though you have some great experience under your belt. It is great to have you here. How is the Vizsla, I hear they are great dogs and it sound as though Rainey is holding true to that. DO you have a picture of her?

Looking forward to hearing more about your barbary this year. If you have pictures of him don't hesitate to post them. In fact, if you have any falconry pictures post away as we all love to see them.

If you need any help please dont hesitate to ask and I hope you enjoy the forums.

Saluqi
07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes, I flew Pandora, it was 7 year streak of very good luck.

As far as imprinting the barbary, I was on the phone with Pete Jungeman a lot, more then a lot. As you probably know Pete is a very knowlegable and insightful falconer and he was very generous with his time.I got him at 14 days.He had all he could eat and never saw me handling the food. He fledged off the roof of my truck at about 46 days and spent the summer up in the clouds bombing Swainson's hawks and harriers. I used the kite and the balloon. But these proved ineffective as air is calm for the 1st 200' or so then it's windy above that. He would launch out on a tirade and when he got enough piss and vinegar out of his system chasing other hawks and things he would come down out of the sky to the kite or balloon. It ended up just being a referene point for him and truth be told he got a helluva lot more exercise and flying skills bombing around then he could with the balloon.
I started flipping starlings and house sparrows for him and he caught on real quick, taking a modest pitch, stooping, and comming back over head for more action. My trouble was with carrying. He wanted to pack everything to the truck and he would not let me pick him up untill he was done eating. I got past this by using a frozen pigeon for a lure.When he had it in his foot I would tid bit him. I was rough at fist but he smoothed out with in a couple of weeks. Once the fall arrived and the birds showed up carrying was no longer an issue. He caught a lot of stuff and only packed 3 times all season.1 time with a sparrow that he took to the truck. 1 time with a starling that he took to a tractor and then allowed me to pick him up, and once with a starling that a pair of redtails robbed him of. That cured him. If he looked like he wanted to bolt I would toss out Mr.Frosty the frozen pigeon and he happilly transferred off his kill. Usually I just picked him up with his kill.He would go in and out of mantling on the fist and he never screamed ever neither at home nor in the field.

Now he's mostly through his molt and I can't weight for the weather to cool down and the season to start.Hope this helps.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the detailed reply, sorry for my slow response....

Pete knows imprint falcons probably better than anyone. Have you ever had an issue with your Barb hightailing it out of the country? You hear so many scary stories of their love of flying and the ease that folks seem to lose them.

Thanks again.

Paul

bluejack
07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
[quote]Hi Keith,

Pete knows imprint falcons probably better than anyone. Have you ever had an issue with your Barb hightailing it out of the country? You hear so many scary stories of their love of flying and the ease that folks seem to lose them.

Thanks again.

Paul (quote][/quote

No worries Paul. My Barbary definitely went through a period where he wanted to beat up other hawks and establish his own territory. I got around it by keeping him real busy. I just started flushing for him real quick sometimes he'ld split anyways. I;ld go find him and call him down then try another slip. Usually he'ld wait on real nice on the second slip. Seemed like he needed to let off some steam every 2nd or 3rd day or so. In early october he got chased out by a female prairie and was gone all day. I tracked him all over the place and would ocasionally get a glimpse of him popping out of a cloud and dissapearing into another one. He didn't really go any where more like 10 miles one way then back and just crisscrossing over the same general area all day. Finally I found him in a tree about a 1/4 mile from where we started. The whole thing took about 9 hrs. After that he was done. When he got bored or whatever he'ld just came back and land on the truck. He definitely got it out of his system.
All the best.
Keith

lovefreshwater
09-03-2007, 12:04 PM
[quote]Hi Keith,

Thanks again.

Paul (quote][/quote

No worries Paul. My Barbary definitely went through a period where he wanted to beat up other hawks and establish his own territory. I got around it by keeping him real busy. I just started flushing for him real quick sometimes he'ld split anyways. I;ld go find him and call him down then try another slip. Usually he'ld wait on real nice on the second slip. Seemed like he needed to let off some steam every 2nd or 3rd day or so. In early october he got chased out by a female prairie and was gone all day. I tracked him all over the place and would ocasionally get a glimpse of him popping out of a cloud and dissapearing into another one. He didn't really go any where more like 10 miles one way then back and just crisscrossing over the same general area all day. Finally I found him in a tree about a 1/4 mile from where we started. The whole thing took about 9 hrs. After that he was done. When he got bored or whatever he'ld just came back and land on the truck. He definitely got it out of his system.
All the best.
Keith

WAZ U~P!! from Los Angeles! hey, Kimosabe. I checked up the pictures of barbaries. they are good looking bops. someday i would like to see it with my own eyes.