PDA

View Full Version : Hello From West Michigan

Caleb
08-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought I would introduce myself, I have been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I would jump in.

A little bit about me,
I am a second year apprentice, and will be flying a 1x intermewed passage female red-tail hawk this fall. We had an awesome season this year, I learned a lot and had a blast!

I will probably be reading more than posting, but thought I should introduce myself anyway [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Caleb

`Chris L.
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought I would introduce myself, I have been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I would jump in.

A little bit about me,
I am a second year apprentice, and will be flying a 1x intermewed passage female red-tail hawk this fall. We had an awesome season this year, I learned a lot and had a blast!

I will probably be reading more than posting, but thought I should introduce myself anyway [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Caleb

Caleb,
Hello and thanks for coming out and introducing yourself It is great to meet new members. Do you have any pictures of your RT. How did you both do last year?

Good luck this year and take some pictures of your hunts and post them. Don't hesitate to post...

Thank you again for saying hello

everetkhorton
08-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Calab:
How are you doing? It will not be long and it will be hunting season again.
I heard Ben is getting a bird or got a bird last year. I still have Th. Glad
to see you on the fourm. You can have your name add every time you post by going into your profile. Add an avator to you post also. That is behond me. How is Chris doing?

Caleb
08-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Caleb,
Hello and thanks for coming out and introducing yourself It is great to meet new members. Do you have any pictures of your RT. How did you both do last year?

Good luck this year and take some pictures of your hunts and post them. Don't hesitate to post...

Thank you again for saying hello

Thanks for the kind welcome Chris! Abby and I did pretty good this past year, I learned a lot from her and from my sponsor. The only hiccup we had all year was in the end of January when she chipped a bone above her right halux. She was laid up for about 3 weeks, but other than that we were keeping the locale bunny population in check
Here are a couple pictures of Abby:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/Rthawker/Abbyrabbit32.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/Rthawker/HPIM0198.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/Rthawker/Squirrel31.jpg

Caleb

Caleb
08-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Calab:
How are you doing? It will not be long and it will be hunting season again.
I heard Ben is getting a bird or got a bird last year. I still have Th. Glad
to see you on the fourm. You can have your name add every time you post by going into your profile. Add an avator to you post also. That is behond me. How is Chris doing?

Hey Ev,

Good to hear from ya, yes I think Ben will be getting a bird this year. Chris is doing good last I talked with him, he is also planning on trapping a bird this year. How is TH coming along with her moult?

Caleb

everetkhorton
08-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Calab:
TH is moulting fine. She started out slow but is well on her way. How was you season last year. Did you do much sqr. hawking last year? I know Chris was staying away from the woods when bunny hunting.. I think I will check out Ludington this fall just for the fun of it. Always looking for new spots. I have a few places I can not drive to in the winter so I will hunt them first this year.

`Chris L.
08-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Caleb,
Great pictures. You have done great with your first RT. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] Great looking bird. How did the bone get chipped? Looking forward to this season pictures from you.. keep up the good work.

Do you want me to make you an avatar from this picture? I really like it. I can make you one quick if you want.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/Rthawker/HPIM0198.jpg

Caleb

everetkhorton
08-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Calab:
Very nice picture, that should be on your wall.

Caleb
08-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Caleb,
Great pictures. You have done great with your first RT. clap Great looking bird. How did the bone get chipped? Looking forward to this season pictures from you.. keep up the good work.

Do you want me to make you an avatar from this picture? I really like it. I can make you one quick if you want.

Thanks Chris!
That would be great if you could make an avatar out of that picture. I tried earlier but I got a "general error" message when I tried uploading a photo.
We're not sure exactly how she chipped the bone, but I think it might have been a collision with a fence.

Calab:
TH is moulting fine. She started out slow but is well on her way. How was you season last year. Did you do much sqr. hawking last year? I know Chris was staying away from the woods when bunny hunting.. I think I will check out Ludington this fall just for the fun of it. Always looking for new spots. I have a few places I can not drive to in the winter so I will hunt them first this year.

Ev,
We had a good season last year, I did do some squirrel hawking, but I switched over to rabbits as the year went on. I loved squirrel hawking, but I found that Abby became much more independent when she was hunting them constantly. The other reason is that she got bit a lot.

Caleb

KidK
08-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey Caleb,

Good to see another Michigan guy here, even though you caught less game with your bird than I did with mine!

The goshawks are molting well and I have been doing some game in the chamber with Spunk already. The little peregrine is molting well and should be ready by the end of September.

Caleb is a top knotch falconer and any sponsors dream apprentice. Energetic, smart, eager and a hawking maniac! I am looking forward to watching Caleb's falconry career, it is going to be awesome!

Caleb
08-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey Caleb,

Good to see another Michigan guy here, even though you caught less game with your bird than I did with mine!

The goshawks are molting well and I have been doing some game in the chamber with Spunk already. The little peregrine is molting well and should be ready by the end of September.

Caleb is a top knotch falconer and any sponsors dream apprentice. Energetic, smart, eager and a hawking maniac! I am looking forward to watching Caleb's falconry career, it is going to be awesome!

Hey Kory,

Thanks for the kind words, I have had an awesome experience so far! Are you going to fly that peregrine this fall? It sounds like Spunk is doing well, are you going to fly him as well? You had to rub that head count in, didn't ya?! lol [smilie=icon_pray.gif] Just wait till fall! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Caleb

`Chris L.
08-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks Chris!
That would be great if you could make an avatar out of that picture. I tried earlier but I got a "general error" message when I tried uploading a photo.
We're not sure exactly how she chipped the bone, but I think it might have been a collision with a fence.

Caleb

Caleb I hooked ya up [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] . I made you 2 and uploaded one of them up. I couldn't decide what one liked better so you make the call. Both will work just save them to you Hard drive and then upload them to your profile.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/Squirrel31.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/HPIM0198-1.jpg

looking forward to the fall pictures for sure

KidK
08-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey Kory,

Thanks for the kind words, I have had an awesome experience so far! Are you going to fly that peregrine this fall? It sounds like Spunk is doing well, are you going to fly him as well? You had to rub that head count in, didn't ya?! lol [smilie=icon_pray.gif] Just wait till fall! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Caleb

Hey Bud,

I really plan on flying Spunk (actually, put fresh gear on him tonight and gave him a little coping) on ducks and rabbits, though I am toying with the idea of car hawking him. He is so cool towards me, even now so I would like to keep our relationship tight through the winter and into the spring.

That being said, it doesn't take long to fly a falcon, expecially if you have small ponds with ducks on them. I can actually fly the peregrine in my back yard to excersize him too, so we will see. I am not 100% comfortable flying someone elses bird, expecially knowing that he will want him back.

And, I am seeing the first passage Cooper's hawks now and I have the worst time maintaining focus when they start hanging around.

Are you going to be trapping with Ben? Tim released his redtail and wants to try a bigger female this year, so we will be trapping both Sunday and Monday.

Here is a great photo of Caleb and his sweet redtail Abby for you all to enjoy. This was just moments after a great rabbit kill. The smile says it all!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z303/korykoch/DSCN3975.jpg

`Chris L.
08-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Great picture. Abby looks great. Its always nice to have a face with the name. Thanks for posting it Kory. I still have to say Jimmy is still the ugliest member so far on NAFEX [smilie=smileys13.gif] .
I cleaned that picture up a little so it wasnt so dark and also made an avatar.. OK I m bored... [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/Untitled-Duplicated-01.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/DSCN3975.jpg

Caleb, all 3 of the avatars I made will work, just Down load them to your pc first

KidK
08-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Chris,

Nice job! It looks much better, other than that ugly redtail (that caught less game than mine last year)! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

She is one of the most gamey (is that a word) redtails I have seen. I can't wait to see her fly this year.

Caleb
08-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the avatars Chris! They look great!

Hey Kory,

Yes, I am hoping to trap with Ben and Chris this year, I took Sunday and Monday off as well. Have you been seeing many passage red-tails by you? I have been looking the past few days and have been seeing some birds, but I think that a lot of them are hags. [smilie=BangHead.gif]

Caleb

KidK
08-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Caleb,

Yeah, I am seeing a few in the old traditional areas I find them the first month of trapping season.

Over the next month, I will be checking out more areas and trying to scope out some likely candiates for the first couple days.

Two years ago, we got 5 birds in 2 days and 3 of the 5 were smaller males. We ended up having to choose between the two nicer birds.