PDA

View Full Version : NAFA Meet 2010 Dodge City KA

Roper
03-24-2010, 04:24 AM
It is my understanding that the 2010 NAFA meet is going to be in Dodge City KA.

Hunter45
03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
It is my understanding that the 2010 NAFA meet is going to be in Dodge City KA.

You've got that right. The host hotel will be The Dodge House. If the jackrabbit population is even half as good as this past season, it will still be awesome. NAFA will advise when the hotel will accept reservations.

Here's (from the NAFA Website) the list of NAFA Meet sites out through 2015. Check this link, http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm, for this list AND all past Meets. It's a grand and glorious tradition. Since my first in 1966, I've only missed 5. Always a special time with wonderful friends, and, usually, great hunting. Bring the family; there's always a family activities program and hotel amenities (pool, hot tub, weight room, games, etc.) to balance out hawking, talking, and programs time with your falconer friends.

2010 - Kansas - Meet Chairman - Kevin Suedmeyer
2011 - Utah - Meet Chairman - Open
2012 - Nebraska - Meet Chairman - Ralph Rogers
2013 - Colorado - Meet Chairman - Open
2014 - Texas - Meet Chairman - Open 2015 - Oklahoma - Meet Chairman - Open

Roper
03-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I like hawkin in Kansas ,, found a couple of places to go roping. I can stay at the Dodge City Rodeo Grounds, with plug ins and places to put my horses.. We were there last year for a while .. found some new fields to hawk in, looking forward to it..

Hunter45
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I like hawkin in Kansas ,, found a couple of places to go roping. I can stay at the Dodge City Rodeo Grounds, with plug ins and places to put my horses.. We were there last year for a while .. found some new fields to hawk in, looking forward to it..

Good spot to set an RV?

Heatherg
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
wow...I was actually right bout the hotel....stranger things have happened :)

Lowachi
03-24-2010, 11:25 PM
wow...I was actually right bout the hotel....stranger things have happened :)

I have a table all set for ya:D

frootdog
03-24-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a table all set for ya:D

That's funny cause I called the hotel tonight to make sure they had some good tables out in the commons area....... Great minds think alike I guess. I'm bringing the shiner black cause I know she likes that. :D

Eragon
03-25-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm hoping I can go to this meet! If not I'll definately be in Utah!

Roper
03-25-2010, 08:41 AM
greg yep see your pm i sent ya.

Hunter45
03-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I checked the posting on NAFA and it's Lamar, CO, not Lemar.

Hunter45
03-25-2010, 10:56 AM
greg yep see your pm i sent ya.

Saw your PM. TY for the info. Whether I bring the RV depends on if I decide to come early and stay afterwards, but your info is very helpful. Again, TY. See you in Dodge City this November.

Heatherg
03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
That's funny cause I called the hotel tonight to make sure they had some good tables out in the commons area....... Great minds think alike I guess. I'm bringing the shiner black cause I know she likes that. :D

You guys are soooooo funny! Shiner Black is gooooood though :)

cnoel08
03-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Does anyone who has been to the past meets in kansas or frequents there know how the wind conditions typically are? In OK this past year it was terrible for me trying to fly my PRT the winds were almost a constant 20+ the few days that i was there

Heatherg
03-25-2010, 03:58 PM
you can count on wind.... at least 15mph but probably more. After spending many days in KS, and North TX over the last few years...there are not very many without wind! :)

Hunter45
03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Does anyone who has been to the past meets in kansas or frequents there know how the wind conditions typically are? In OK this past year it was terrible for me trying to fly my PRT the winds were almost a constant 20+ the few days that i was there

This is not an easy question to answer. I've been there when it's quite calm, and then like you described, windy all or most of the day for days at a time. That said, it's usually least windy early, pre-dawn to 45 minutes after dawn and 45 minutes before dark. It's that inbetween time that's so variable. I always look at 10 day and hour by hour forecasts on www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com) for where I'm hawking, and adjust my key hawking time accordingly. Look at the big system maps as well. Where fronts collide is usually more turbulent. I've driven as little at 20 miles north or south of where I am to get into less windy conditions.

There's also techniques you can use, especially when hawking with a party of beaters, that mitigate against the jacks running upwind on your bird. Finally, you need your bird to be really fit to fly in such conditions. Low or poorly muscled birds are totally at the mercy of the wind.

FredFogg
03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I checked the posting on NAFA and it's Lamar, CO, not Lemar.

Fixed! Thanks!

bobpayne
03-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Western Kansas is a windy place, a buddy an I were out in Dodge several yrs ago and we checked the peak gust for the day, 54 mph! Even on windy days early and late can still be outstanding. The wind builds during the day and will set down an hour or so before dusk, or blow all night long!

Roper
03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a lot of Hot air to me.. oh sorry thats just another falconer in the field...
Your on the plains of the U.S. of course it is going to be windy .. the birds fly in it. and you just learn how to set up your slips or work you fields accordingly .. just write it down as a learning exprience..
As Bob said as it got warmer the winds increase,, well maybe he didnt say that exactly .. but I would sure expect some winds .. to me average of 10-20 mpr per day...