PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

bcamp
04-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Hello,

My name is Ben, and I'm from North New Jersey. I'm entirely new to anything falconry but I am interested in the sport. I am an amature photographer, and would like to eventually mix the two together.

As of right now, I have only just begun to scratch the surface and learn was falconry is all about. If this is something that I'd like to participate in, I have no target as to when I would begin. The earliest I could see would be 2 to 3 years.

In the meantime, I am trying to soak up information, meet up with a few falconers and get some demonstrations and maybe help out.

I am an avid hunter (rifle/shotgun) as well as an animal guy. I think that the idea of training and working with an animal to eventually hunt is an amazing idea, and assuming that I can do what is required, would be great to do.

I own a small house with a small yard in NJ, and I dont know if that may preclude me from falconry as I don't have a lot of land for mews, etc. I havent received my state information yet regarding falconry. I hope that I'm not sure what is required to build or whether the hawk can remain indoors. All of this I hope to learn from the forum and any falconers I can locate in my area.

To sum it up: Hi, and thanks for having me on the forum.

-Ben

Mzingie
04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Hey im just trying toi get started to. Other than this forum i'd say a good place to get an idea of the sport is www.themodernapprentice.com (http://www.themodernapprentice.com). Then if your still intrested order a few books.

everetkhorton
04-19-2010, 08:02 AM
(welc) Ben! There are some real good photographers on this site. There is a thread with lots of pictures that you may want to look at. Also a lot of good information for people that have the interest. Falconry is not for everyone so it is good that you look around first.

everetkhorton
04-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Hey im just trying toi get started to. Other than this forum i'd say a good place to get an idea of the sport is www.themodernapprentice.com (http://www.themodernapprentice.com). Then if your still intrested order a few books.

It is always nice if people sign there post. This can be done automatically by using the User CP in the upper left had corner. It just makes it a lot friendlier.