PDA

View Full Version : Questions

RLBagley
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Well, this is a helpful idea to see put up on this Forum.

Lots of questions come to us every day through email, that then only get answered one at a time.

So, for customers with questions, the answers to which might be helpful to others as well, maybe this can be a good place to leave some?

There's quite a few fun new products and improvements you'll see coming out this year, so stay tuned. . . .

Customers may also be interested to know that a new version of the website is now up at: www.marshallradio.com

Thanks again to all-
RB

Tasha55403
05-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Awesome, this is a GREAT idea:) No questions at the moment but I'll keep it in mind for the futureclapp

Chris L.
05-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Robert,

thank you for allowing the NAFEX community to ask questions here. I really think it will be a great resource.

Let me know if you need anything

Chris

rrcoati
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I have an RT+ the battery life is about seven days compared to the powermax that lasted a month+.

Both units are turned on and off it just seems that the RT goes through batteries faster. Is this normal?

RLBagley
06-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I have an RT+ the battery life is about seven days compared to the powermax that lasted a month+.

Both units are turned on and off it just seems that the RT goes through batteries faster. Is this normal?

Hello Jeremy and thanks for your message,

If what I can infer from your question is true (that you are turning it on and off with each flight, as it's intentionally designed), and under these conditions it's only lasting a total of seven days (before it is completely dead), then there is definitely something wrong.

It might be a dirty contact on the inside of the lid of an '04 model which were produced before we made the gold spring change (you can verify this by the last digit of the Serial # that's lasered into the case), or there could be an internal problem. Best to send it in to us to have a look, especially now during the off-season. We'll then let you know what we find.

Sorry this happened,
RB

rrcoati
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Robert

Thanks. I will send it in ASAP.

Cheers

Dirthawking
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Here is my question. I have two scouts that just turn on/off at will. No reason, I have tried fresh batteries, even called Marshall about it. I was told that it was impossible for that to happen. Yet it did, again, at the weathering yard at NAFA meet. Been happening all season.

Is anybody else having a problem?

sharptail
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Here is my question. I have two scouts that just turn on/off at will. No reason, I have tried fresh batteries, even called Marshall about it. I was told that it was impossible for that to happen. Yet it did, again, at the weathering yard at NAFA meet. Been happening all season.

Is anybody else having a problem?I have found my Rt+s turned 'on' several times when going to saddle up. Some of those times I am sure that I turned them off, in the dismount. I am not sure if the magnets, clipped on the telemetry bag may have inadvertantly turned them on or if they just went on unprompted.

Dirthawking
06-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I have found my Rt+s turned 'on' several times when going to saddle up. Some of those times I am sure that I turned them off, in the dismount. I am not sure if the magnets, clipped on the telemetry bag may have inadvertantly turned them on or if they just went on unprompted.

I do not keep my magnets anywhere near my telemetry, or my person, just for that reason, and it still happens. I store the transmitters in one box, and my magnets in a different one.

jfseaman
06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I have found my Rt+s turned 'on' several times when going to saddle up. Some of those times I am sure that I turned them off, in the dismount. I am not sure if the magnets, clipped on the telemetry bag may have inadvertantly turned them on or if they just went on unprompted.

I do not keep my magnets anywhere near my telemetry, or my person, just for that reason, and it still happens. I store the transmitters in one box, and my magnets in a different one.
I have RT+, 3 Powermax, 2 Scouts and 2 Micros.

Most of the time the TX are on the birds except when not flying (as in molt) but the RT+ is kept on a bewet on my hawking vest. The RT+ is for the few birds that don't have trackpacks.

I keep my magnet on a lanyard around my neck.

I've never ever found any of my TX turned on or off with out me doing it.

When the TX are off the bird and in the box, I do remove the batteries.

Dirthawking
06-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I have two scouts, bough at different times. One for a backpack, one for a tail mount. Both have turned on/off by themselves. Like I said, mags no where near me/birds. Kept in truck, only come out to turn on/off.

I still love the scouts though. Just wish I could figure out this fantom problem.

Paul Mascuch
06-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Just out of interest. I've had my magnetic on/off transmitters turn on a couple of times. I thought I had a bad transmitter. I found out that the magnet in the speaker on my telemetry receiver is strong enough to turn the transmitter on. I was throwing my receiver and the transmitter holders on the back seat of my truck, and if they ended up one on top of the other the transmitter would sometimes turn on.

The other time I found that I had placed my magnetic mount onmi antenna on the back seat without thinking about my transmitters. I can tell you that will definately turn your transmitters on.

Paul

RLBagley
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Is anybody else having a problem?

Hello Mario-

We've heard about this happening from some people for some time, but when we get the transmitters here, can't seem reproduce the problem. That includes whacking them, putting them through the Enviro Chamber and cycling extreme temperatures, etc. An intermittent problem is the most difficult to nail down. So we just replace them since it's impossible to expect the customer to use a transmitter they cannot trust.

The reason someone would have said it was 'impossible,' would relate to the actual HAL effect switch, which cannot turn the transmitter on or off by itself without a magnetic field very close to it, and the circuit is designed to be "fault-positive" (left on or open) if it ever did fail.

So, this can only happen when there is a break somehow in the electrical connection, no matter how brief. The transmitter is designed to work with the mag switch so you can just keep the lid screwed down tight, until you need to remove it to change batteries. And, it can also be turned off or on manually (the 'old way') by removing the battery altogether, in case there was no magnet handy for some reason.

But if there's some corrosion on the battery contacts, or possibly a crack in one of the Silver Epoxy joints internally, that could be the result you would see, an intermittent connection, and therefore mysteriously turning itself on.

Therefore, by all means do send them in to us and we'll replace them right away (after trying here to reproduce the problem as well). We'll let you know what we find.

Best Regards-
RB

RLBagley
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Hello Jeff-

The first thing I'd check is the inside of the lid, and if you see a little black dot down in there in the very center, clean it with a Q-tip and alcohol (or something similar). This sounds like what you'd experience if there was an intermittent connection, which can happen with a dirty lid. And a dirty lid can happen over time with just the electrolysis between the two metals and the hand oils on the batteries that are changed out. So, that's the first thing to check.

But remember, an intermittent connection will always end up turning the transmitter on, not off.

On the other hand, if there's an internal failure of some kind causing this (keep in mind, with those RT's you can whack them on the table extremely hard and they do not fail), we would want you using new ones right away.

So, if a dirty lid is not the cause, and you continue to have this occur, by all means let us look at them here. You have to be able to trust them.

Thanks,
RB

RLBagley
06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Just out of interest. I've had my magnetic on/off transmitters turn on a couple of times. I thought I had a bad transmitter. I found out that the magnet in the speaker on my telemetry receiver is strong enough to turn the transmitter on. I was throwing my receiver and the transmitter holders on the back seat of my truck, and if they ended up one on top of the other the transmitter would sometimes turn on.

The other time I found that I had placed my magnetic mount onmi antenna on the back seat without thinking about my transmitters. I can tell you that will definately turn your transmitters on.

Paul

Hello Paul-

One thing to consider here is that if the mag switch ends up causing uncertainty in your routine that overshadows its convenience, we can certainly "undo it" since it is enabled or disabled through a quick programming step. Some customers still like to remove the battery after each flight and don't mind the process.

One of the big design changes we made in 2004 was to make all the transmitters "programmable," which simply means you can change or customize any of the parameters of the standard "duty cycle," like the pulse rate or when the low-battery indicator will alert you. You can change the frequency a year after you bought the transmitter, if you find it's too close to the Dog Collar or another friend's transmitter. What's more, you can change them again and again as many times as you'd like. One of these changeable things is the mag switch.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx37/marshallradio/ProgrammingaScout2.jpg

A little technical note on the Hall Effect Type magnetic switches we use: they are the most reliable design available. Millions of them are used in the automotive industry they are so reliable, several per vehicle (although not in Toyota throttle-position sensors).

They require the presence of a strong magnetic field (of fixed polarity, thus precluding being affected by AC like a PowerLine) to flow current (and hence send the signal to the transmitter to turn on/off). Without the presence of the magnetic field, the device cannot conduct electricity and cannot tell the transmitter to turn on or off. This particular device (in use in all of our transmitters since 2005, has proven so reliable, we have only seen a single part fail (where it would no longer turn the transmitter on or off).

Anyway, there's some observations for you.
RB

jfseaman
06-11-2010, 07:48 AM
As I have stated, I've never had it happen. I only gave my current inventory of TX, I've had many others that have been sold or traded. ex: When the scout came out, I bought 4 and brought them back to England, I traded one for a FHH.

Just a thought on units turning themselves on.

I've seen many falconers toss the TX on the dash of the car. Many cars have speakers mounted in the dash. If your TX passes over the speaker it will energize the HAL effects switch.

Another source is speakers in the doors, I often drop my hawking bag on the unused seat. With speakers in the door, if the TX then winds up in proximity to door speakers, you guessed it, TX on.

The number of magnetic fields in your vehicle is numerous. Count the speakers, relays and electric motors.

Your electric seats can turn you TX on.

Seat warmers.

Engine warmers for those in cold climates.

Wind shield wiper motor just below the dash could explain why it happens 'sometimes'.

Heater/AC blower motor below the dash, turns on the TX in a box on the floor just under the dash.

Make a magnetic field detector with a small clear vial filled with iron filings. Move it around your car and see if the filings move.

One last source to consider, all the magnets in your home/shop/garage.

Do you have large cabinet speakers. Ever place your TX or box with TX on the speakers? Yup, magnetic field proximity.

Dirthawking
06-11-2010, 08:51 PM
As I have stated, I've never had it happen. I only gave my current inventory of TX, I've had many others that have been sold or traded. ex: When the scout came out, I bought 4 and brought them back to England, I traded one for a FHH.

Just a thought on units turning themselves on.

I've seen many falconers toss the TX on the dash of the car. Many cars have speakers mounted in the dash. If your TX passes over the speaker it will energize the HAL effects switch.

Another source is speakers in the doors, I often drop my hawking bag on the unused seat. With speakers in the door, if the TX then winds up in proximity to door speakers, you guessed it, TX on.

The number of magnetic fields in your vehicle is numerous. Count the speakers, relays and electric motors.

Your electric seats can turn you TX on.

Seat warmers.

Engine warmers for those in cold climates.

Wind shield wiper motor just below the dash could explain why it happens 'sometimes'.

Heater/AC blower motor below the dash, turns on the TX in a box on the floor just under the dash.

Make a magnetic field detector with a small clear vial filled with iron filings. Move it around your car and see if the filings move.

One last source to consider, all the magnets in your home/shop/garage.

Do you have large cabinet speakers. Ever place your TX or box with TX on the speakers? Yup, magnetic field proximity.

Mine has turned on while the bird was perched at a nafa meet, while I was working the yard not 20 feet away, and it has turned off while my bird was hunting. Cast off with a turned on transmitter, get bird back and it was off. Happened several times. So unless my bird flew through a car I did not see with monster speakers in the back. I don't think that was the culprit. toungeout

frootdog
06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Mine has turned on while the bird was perched at a nafa meet, while I was working the yard not 20 feet away, and it has turned off while my bird was hunting. Cast off with a turned on transmitter, get bird back and it was off. Happened several times. So unless my bird flew through a car I did not see with monster speakers in the back. I don't think that was the culprit. toungeout

That's easy to explain. You were hunting on the island from lost and EVERYONE knows the electromagnetic fields on the island will really screw with the transmitters. Just be on the lookout for the smoke monster.:D

RLBagley
06-14-2010, 05:27 PM
That's easy to explain. You were hunting on the island from lost and EVERYONE knows the electromagnetic fields on the island will really screw with the transmitters. Just be on the lookout for the smoke monster.:D

You guys . . . . . .

Mario, please go ahead and send the Scout in to us and let us find what's happening (and get a new one to you pronto).

Thanks,
RB

RLBagley
06-14-2010, 06:01 PM

You guys . . . . . .

(crack me up)

Mario, please go ahead and send the Scout in to us and let us find what's happening (and get a new one to you pronto).

Thanks,
RB