PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Eugene OR

MojoCore
06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello All,

Hey everyone. Not sure what to say here so ill start off by saying that I'm interested in Falconry and have been since i was 13. I moved up to Eugene from the Bay Area CA because ( among other things ) It seems to be a better place to Pursue falconry then a crowded suburban city.

I was just wondering what i should do to get started? I'v already Bought 4-5 books on Falconry. My favorite being "Modern Falconry" by Jack Samson. I know I should join a Group/Club any thing other then that I'm at a loss.

I doubt its appropriate to simply ask for a Sponsor and would probably be a bad way to start off the "relationship" Any advice is welcome at this point. Also I noticed that for the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Falconry App. It states a Sponsor has to sign it? I thought that was the first step but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place?

Ok done now if your still reading thank you! This is my First post of this sort and I guess I'm a Nervous typer. Thanks for reading.
Mark

Chris L.
06-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Mark

Welcome to NAFEX. Great first post and a great way to start your falconry quest.

Contact your local Fish and game and ask for a list of falconers. Find one near you and give him/her a call. One of the best things to do is get your falconry exam out of the way before you call a sponsor. It really shows you are serious.

If you dont find a sponsor right away do not get discouraged. Keep your chin up and keep on looking. It is a lot of hard work to become a falconer, but very worth it!

here is a great link to have a look at http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=2007

Good luck and Welcome to NAFEX

California Native
06-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Hello Mark,

There are other falconers in Eugene and Springfield, Oregon. Perhaps they will respond when they read your request. They are on NAFEX and I will mention to them you are seeking help.

Dan

Richard F, Hoyer
06-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Mark:
Contacting the part of the ODFW web site that deals with falconry matters you have done which is a good place to start.

The Oregon Falconers Assn. is having their summer campout at the Crooked River Ranch in central Oregon on July 16 - 18. Just attending for a day on the 17th could get you acquainted with some of the falconers in Oregon and perhaps see a few raptors as well.

And, if you hadn't done so in Calif., getting out with some falconers during one or more hunting ventures this coming fall and winter is another worthwhile thing to consider.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon)

MojoCore
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions! I look forward to going to crooked river this year! Im probably going to be wandering around wide eyed.:eek: I plan on giving ODFW tomorrow and get a packet so i can start studying again.

cbdfox
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Mark
I live in Eugene as well. My wife and I are both falconers.

While I currently have an apprentice. I wouldn't mind talking answering questions or letting you see our hawks one afternoon.

If your interested you can send me an email at cbdfox@yahoo.com. You can also Private Message me but I am not on Nafex as often this time of year as I am busy with work and other projects.

Good luck.

everetkhorton
06-10-2010, 08:27 AM
(welc) Mark!