PDA

View Full Version : Fun new little gadget

RLBagley
07-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Many may be interested in having a way to turn transmitters on and off without having to go get their receiver out in order to listen to the transmitter.

This can now be easily done in one step with a new little Accessory item added today to the Marshall Radio website called the "Signal Sensor."

It's explained here (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-accessories/item/530-marshall-signal-sensor-mag-switch).

RB

frootdog
07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Many may be interested in having a way to turn transmitters on and off without having to go get their receiver out in order to listen to the transmitter.

This can now be easily done in one step with a new little Accessory item added today to the Marshall Radio website called the "Signal Sensor."

It's explained here (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-accessories/item/530-marshall-signal-sensor-mag-switch).

RB

Would it work well for a cast of HHs? since all the birds will be in the back of the vehicle or very nearby when I'm turning transmitters on and off? I guess what I mean is HOW close do you have to be? If I have one transmitter on already will I be able to tell if the others are on/off as well?

frootdog
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Why is the price in british pounds? It says it's under American falconry.......

RLBagley
07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Why is the price in british pounds? It says it's under American falconry.......

Good point. Each section of the site has a little link embedded in the price of each item to a monetary calculator for the local currency.

So, it should be showing $39.95 (and it will shortly).

Sorry,
RB

frootdog
07-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Good point. Each section of the site has a little link embedded in the price of each item to a monetary calculator for the local currency.

So, it should be showing $39.95 (and it will shortly).

Sorry,
RB

Good I don't speak British. Wish I had know about this a week ago......

RLBagley
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Would it work well for a cast of HHs? since all the birds will be in the back of the vehicle or very nearby when I'm turning transmitters on and off? I guess what I mean is HOW close do you have to be? If I have one transmitter on already will I be able to tell if the others are on/off as well?

Yes, you need to be within just a few feet to sense the signal, and then within an inch or in direct contact with the transmitter to turn it off (or back on). When I slowly pulled it away from a running RT+ transmitter just now, it stops beeping at about three feet away.
RB

frootdog
07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes, you need to be within just a few feet to sense the signal, and then within an inch or in direct contact with the transmitter to turn it off (or back on). When I slowly pulled it away from a running RT+ transmitter just now, it stops beeping at about three feet away.
RB

Thanks.:D

RLBagley
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Wish I had know about this a week ago......

Oops. What happened a week ago?

frootdog
07-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Oops. What happened a week ago?

I spent a lot of money with Marshall. Would have thrown that in too. I hate flipping through the dial to make sure all the transmitters are on and then off at the end of the hunt. 3 birds + 1 dog all with Marshall transmitters. I will order one for sure before the season gets underway.

RLBagley
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I spent a lot of money with Marshall. Would have thrown that in too. I hate flipping through the dial to make sure all the transmitters are on and then off at the end of the hunt. 3 birds + 1 dog all with Marshall transmitters. I will order one for sure before the season gets underway.

(check for a Private Message)

Tony James
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Hi Krys,

I'm with you there. What a wonderfully practical piece of equipment. Maybe I'll have the one in british pounds?;-)

Very good Robert. I promise I'll be using one when you join us!

Best wishes,

Tony.

Joby
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
It's a very practical little gadget. I have something similar that came from Northwoods and just love it. I think yours is a bit less expensive. If I didn't already have one, I'd definitely be looking at yours.

RLBagley
07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
It's a very practical little gadget. I have something similar that came from Northwoods and just love it. I think yours is a bit less expensive. If I didn't already have one, I'd definitely be looking at yours.

Yes, the black box type (shown below) is $89 from Northwoods, and $68 from Mike's Falconry Supplies, whereas the Signal Sensor is only $40 (well, $39.95). Not sure if the WMI blue box versions are still available.

And it's also available from Western Sporting and Northwoods for that price.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac34/RLBagley/Product%20Pics/Allthree.jpg

Here it is shown being used with a Marshall Pointing Dog tracking Collar, with both LED's lit up at the same instant:

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac34/RLBagley/Product%20Pics/SensorwithCollarsm-clean.jpg

Dirthawking
07-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Does the marshall one have the speaker in it too for an audiable signal?

frootdog
07-07-2010, 11:38 PM

RB

Does the marshall one have the speaker in it too for an audiable signal?

That big blue link will answer that..... or here you go

Features

• Durable weather-resistant case.
• Magnet for turning transmitter ON and OFF.
• Push button operation prevents battery drain when not in use.
• Microprocessor-controlled signal detection algorithm.
• LED & Tone indicators signal that transmitter is operational.
• LED & Tone indicators signal that tester battery is functioning.
• Lanyard attachment point to prevent loss in the field.

$39.95

rkumetz
07-08-2010, 01:42 PM
RB

To add to Robert's answer, also remember that the sensing distance will vary depending on the transmitter. For example a Powermax has 3db more (2x) transmit power than the RT+ while the Scout has 3db less (per Marshall's relative power table).

You can also achieve some directionality by shielding the Signal Sensor with your other hand if you are trying to determine which bird in your hawking rig still has its transmitter turned on.

RLBagley
08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
To add to Robert's answer, also remember that the sensing distance will vary depending on the transmitter. For example a Powermax has 3db more (2x) transmit power than the RT+ while the Scout has 3db less (per Marshall's relative power table).

You can also achieve some directionality by shielding the Signal Sensor with your other hand if you are trying to determine which bird in your hawking rig still has its transmitter turned on.

By the way, as a message to others here on the Forum, if you'll notice in the description of this little device on our webpage, it's Ron here who is credited as the designer/creator of the Signal Sensor, also named the Signal Finder when purchased through Western Sporting.

So, his observations here are to be listened to closely. . . .

Kudos and thanks again for getting this done.
RB

Lowachi
08-03-2010, 01:14 AM
might have to invest in one of these for the weathering yard. Beats walking around with a reciever looking for live trannies

frootdog
08-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Beats walking around with a reciever looking for live trannies

!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go to Trinidad, CO. Glad you specified that you are looking for live ones Rich. I would have been worried otherwise.

Dirthawking
08-04-2010, 06:20 PM
might have to invest in one of these for the weathering yard. Beats walking around with a reciever looking for live trannies

!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go to Trinidad, CO. Glad you specified that you are looking for live ones Rich. I would have been worried otherwise.

I wonder what frequency they are on? toungeout

frootdog
08-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I wonder what frequency they are on? toungeout

Do the dead ones have a different frequency as opposed to the live ones? Come on Rich don't leave us hangin'. Inquiring minds want to know? (Isn't that kinda an oxymoron? I mean don't Inquiring minds by definition WANT to know?)

Dirthawking
08-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Do the dead ones have a different frequency as opposed to the live ones? Come on Rich don't leave us hangin'. Inquiring minds want to know? (Isn't that kinda an oxymoron? I mean don't Inquiring minds by definition WANT to know?)

I am still baffled as to why you have to weather one.

frootdog
08-05-2010, 03:21 AM
I am still baffled as to why you have to weather one.

If you weather em too much then you have to do things like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQb2m6VJ-eo

ukroper
08-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Krys,i asked Guy..he said mind your own buiseness:D:D:D:D

Lowachi
08-05-2010, 11:58 PM
ah, now I see.....Glad I'm being retired. This kinda abuse is for the young...or Texansmooon...and I've been to Trinidad, I was looking for you.photoo. As the sayinng goes..."Friends!! I have a multitude of friends!" Lucky me.

I'd still like to get one, but if I'm being replaced, I don't think I want to buy one and send it down the road with all the rest of the gear I've acquired for the club, sorry. But who knows, it might be a nice parting gesture for whomever takes over if he/'she(politically correct always) doesn't have a multi frequency receiver of their own.