PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Missouri

Leather
07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Hello,
My name is Eric Leathers, I’m a psychiatric registered nurse, living outside of St. Louis; I had my falconer’s license in high school, during the late eighties for two years. At that time I hunted with a small male that I lost, then the next year a larger male that I had success with. I have wanted to get back into the sport for a long time now, but have not been able to- do to the military, then my family and so on and so on. I’m still extremely busy- but what can you do? You only live once. Most of the people I knew from then are no longer around or I lost contact with, or they are doing God knows what, but I have met several falconers from the Missouri Falconers Association meets this past winter. A lot of very nice, good people that are happy to answer questions and tolerate me and my son tagging along with big goofy smiles, most seemed very knowledgeable and extremely serious about the sport, a couple of them you could classify as professionals. I was more then impressed with some of these falconers and their birds, they made me realize just how little I knew then and how much I need to still learn. Things have really changed from then, I can’t believe how many people in this area are into falconry now. I remember when everything was kind of on the down low and most of the falconers I knew then were kind of crazy. I have tried to educate myself with readings and I've been talking frequently with a local falconer friend of mine who has been an ocean of knowledge. Anyway I will be trapping in September and I’m excited, I actually think I have my wife excited too- sort of. I don’t think she is fond of my new mews, or having frozen animals in our freezer in the basement, but she is on board. She is very cool. I think I will try for a nice size female RT with gorilla feet and take it slow. Anyway I look at this site frequently, reading the logs and loving the pictures. So I figured I better finally post something. I’ve probably met a few of you Missouri people who post on here, and I’m sure I will have questions as I go. I hope this posts the way you guys expect it to, and I really hope to post pictures of a sweet RT soon. Thanks

Eric Leathers

Mrs Sosatiggr
07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Welcome Eric. rtsqrl

Chris L.
07-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to say hello. I look forward to the seeing pictures of your RT. Keep us posted!

Lowachi
07-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the fold, or should I say back to the fold. I think you'll find a lot of us are still kinda crazy.

hawk_1_lawman_2
07-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Hello Eric and (welc)

keitht
07-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Eric: I remember the name, but can't remember when we met. I guess years back.

Red-tail71
07-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Welcome Eric! I too can relate with the life happenings that have kept us away from our love of this sport. Now we both are upon a new beginning. So good luck trapping and enjoy the times with your son!!

Take care, David

FredFogg
07-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I think you'll find a lot of us are still kinda crazy.

Some more so than others! toungeout:D

Welcome back to the journey Eric! Its a slow ride but a really good one!

wgtail
07-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi Eric, look forward to see your new bird this fall. Good luck. thumbsupp

Mike Mallett

Lowachi
07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Some more so than others! toungeout:D

!

I deny nothing!!!!!!!!!:eek: crazyy

keitht
07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I just reread your post. I'm positive now- I'm one of those "crazy" guys you met years ago.

Leather
07-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the greeting,
-Hey Keitht, Ya about 22 years ago, Wow I'm getting old.

everetkhorton
07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
(welc) Eric

Meagan
07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Eric,

Welcome to the site! I have horrible memory but if you want to any of our field meets this past year than I have met you...I am happy to hear that you are taking that huge step and getting yourself a bird. I cannot wait to see her fly at the field meets. Do you plan to come to the MFA picnic?

Leather
07-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey Meagan,
I do hope to go to the picnic, however work can always be an issue, along with a million other things. but would be nice to go.
see ya- Eric Leathers

Dennis Samnee
07-22-2010, 10:10 PM
(welc)Eric.
I think I remember you from a meet.
Hope to see you at the eyass party.
Dennis Samnee
DeSoto Mo.

Leather
07-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks Dennis,
I am definitely going to try and make it, will be a good time.