PDA

View Full Version : New to list

Shortwingn
12-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Greetings all,
Erik Swanson from N.J. here. Presently flying a Finn gos, gyr/saker and a kestrel. I run mini longhair Dachshunds along with my birds. Hope everyone is having a wonderful season!

`Chris L.
12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Erik,
welcome to the list.. you fly some great birds and looks like you have a great dog team as well. How are they all doing this year?

How is the kestrel doing? Have you taken any game with it yet?

I am looking forward to hearing more about your birds

again, welcome to the forum

chris

Shortwingn
12-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the welcome. The kestrel was taken as an eyass. She is a hard imprint and took her first head of game at around 35 days out of the nest. She likes her multiples and is a pleasure to be around.
The dog team (my bitches) make rabbit hawking a spectator sport. I sure do miss beating the brush :roll: !

Erik

`Chris L.
12-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the welcome. The kestrel was taken as an eyass. She is a hard imprint and took her first head of game at around 35 days out of the nest. She likes her multiples and is a pleasure to be around.
The dog team (my bitches) make rabbit hawking a spectator sport. I sure do miss beating the brush :roll: !

Erik

Erik, great job with the kestrel. I would love to see some pics of her on some game next time your out.. i just love those little rockets. D Is she a bad carrier or does she stay relativley put?

I know what you mean about the brush.. I have a jack that I need to get going so I can stay out of the briars :idea:

Chris

RTJim
12-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Greetings all,
Erik Swanson from N.J. here. Presently flying a Finn gos, gyr/saker and a kestrel. I run mini longhair Dachshunds along with my birds. Hope everyone is having a wonderful season!

Is your Finn/Gos a female? Imprint...how old. I have had problems with mine as being very aggressive...from weighing to grabby and not wanting to be touched. Even aggressive to dogs except my Bull terrier. She does not want me to even open game. There was never any problem until some weight came off...Please give me your comments......thx............jm

Shortwingn
12-20-2006, 01:04 AM
The gos I am flying now is a 3x intermewed hen imprint from Lance Christensen. She is a big bird. We have cought wild turkey, canada geese, snow geese, jacks, cotten tail, mallards and a bunch of other things! I have never had any problems handling her. She was raised corectly before I got her and is still being handled correctly. I made only one mistake and never hooded her during her third moult, she wouldnt take the hood again. So I have a gos that will catch most anything but not take the hood without a fight.
As game goes I find it simpler to trade than open. Most imprint gos will go for what they know and give up what they have got. So a trade for a rabbit for a few bites of quail will do just fine. As far as aggresiveness goes, perhaps too low in weight? You can fly them a bit on the high side. Are you sure you have a imprint and not a ac/dc bird? If it is a true imprint a few grams at a time will do.
Erik

RTJim
12-20-2006, 11:32 PM
I got her at 15 days (5/23/06) and she lived in the living room with the family until the end of August. see pic link....jm

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/2006Ellie7-1-0654days004_1_1.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The gos I am flying now is a 3x intermewed hen imprint from Lance Christensen. She is a big bird. We have cought wild turkey, canada geese, snow geese, jacks, cotten tail, mallards and a bunch of other things! I have never had any problems handling her. She was raised corectly before I got her and is still being handled correctly. I made only one mistake and never hooded her during her third moult, she wouldnt take the hood again. So I have a gos that will catch most anything but not take the hood without a fight.
As game goes I find it simpler to trade than open. Most imprint gos will go for what they know and give up what they have got. So a trade for a rabbit for a few bites of quail will do just fine. As far as aggresiveness goes, perhaps too low in weight? You can fly them a bit on the high side. Are you sure you have a imprint and not a ac/dc bird? If it is a true imprint a few grams at a time will do.
Erik

Shortwingn
12-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Jim,
Are you going to the PA. meet? I intend to go with a few N.Y. and N.J. falconers. If your going we could meet up there and get the birds up. I hunt in western N.J quite a bit and find my self in eastern PA. often. We could meet up that way sometime as well.
Erik

Bobby Parrott
12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
welcome shortwingin. Good to see someone using dachshunds. I have an 8 month old short haired mini. She is mostly a pet, but I have been thinking about training her and my RT to work together. Man, she is wild though, full of energy. She seems really interested in the back yard bunnies.

Bobby

Shortwingn
12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Here is a pic of my 5 year old bitch "Bode" with her partner "Toula" from the begining of the season. She and her 2 year old pups have made rabbit hawking real fun.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/toulabodehardwood.jpg

RTJim
12-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Jim,
Are you going to the PA. meet? I intend to go with a few N.Y. and N.J. falconers. If your going we could meet up there and get the birds up. I hunt in western N.J quite a bit and find my self in eastern PA. often. We could meet up that way sometime as well.
Erik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes i am going to the PA meet. I have my Gos at 42.75 oz which is 1.0 oz heavier then when she hard penned and she is just as mean...attacking my legs, hands and biting everything she can. This bird was so perfect before dropping her weight...anyone could touch her all over without a bite etc. Never footed before etc.........i am at a total loss??%^&^%$#
Please advise........jm

RTJim
12-25-2006, 12:43 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/JMEuroGosEllie078_1_1.jpg

Shortwingn
12-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Jim,
I started to put down some possible problems and realized I am going to be typing for a time! I thought it might be eaiser to speak over the phone and figure out what is going on. My number is 201 291 1855. I am home after dark most of the time.
Erik

RTJim
12-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi Jim,
I started to put down some possible problems and realized I am going to be typing for a time! I thought it might be eaiser to speak over the phone and figure out what is going on. My number is 201 291 1855. I am home after dark most of the time.
Erik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will try and call you tommorow evening...thx............jm

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_3543_1_1_1.jpg