PDA

View Full Version : New from....somewhere overseas

lmclemore
07-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Greetings....my name is Lea and I'm a civilian deployed overseas at the moment. A few weeks ago, my family and I took a trip to Ireland and got a chance to do a couple of "Hawk Walks" at Ashford Castle.

I'd been to the castle and participated in a hawk walk before but this time, for whatever reason, it was a different experience entirely and I got the "falconry bug." Because I'm deployed, there's no way I could become an apprentice at this time but it does give me the opportunity to study for the test and learn from experienced falconers on this forum.

Regards,
Lea

topgun
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
its a great sport but also a 365 day commitment from you and family, not something to dabble in

lmclemore
07-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Mitchell,
Understood. Whenever I'm done deploying I intend to be able to commit 365 a year - it's one of the reasons I've spent so much time overseas. I look at this as a test of commitment and an opportunity to save money so I can do what I want to when I return stateside.
Lea

MrBill
07-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Lea,

If you knew what state you were returning to, you could contact falconers from that particular state, as well.

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

lmclemore
07-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Ah, the big "if"....I honestly have no idea where I'll go when I return. North Carolina's a possibility but I"m actually considering buying land in several different states.

Dennis Samnee
07-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi Lea,

Well I hope everything works out for you and your family.Beware it becomes a obsession and takes over your life:D I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
Dennis Samnee
Mo.

REYNALDO
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
first of all (welc). there are alot of things here in this forum that you can go through and learn alot from. there are books you can buy or borrow from libraries to help you study. also once you have decided to which state you are staying try contacting the dnr and request information & requirement list you can use to help you along.
good luck!

lmclemore
07-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Rey. I've been skimming the forum for the past couple of days and have ordered some of the recommended reading I've found on other websites.
I see you're in Warren, Michigan....I've considered Michigan as I have a lot of friends in that area but time will tell.

everetkhorton
07-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Lea:
If you get a chance to attend any of the meet oversea's do it. It would be a chance of a life time. Much much different than the way we do things. I would be looking for falconer in every country I was in to see what is going on. Have fun. Watch out the bug can creep up on you.

lmclemore
07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Everet,
I'll definitely look for overseas falconers and meets. I know that falconry is big in Qatar and the UAE so am going to try to plan a trip down that way sometime this winter (because it's waaaay too hot to go down there right now).
Thanks,
Lea

allterrainwarrior
08-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Lea,

whether your a civilian or an active duty service member deployed forward conducting operations overseas falconry is going to be tough but doable. You seem to be on a good start by reading as much as you can. This is the first step before anything else can get accomplished. At first falconry will consume alot of your time because you will want to get it right. This is the lure of falconry, There is an old saying: The closer you get to Perfection the more you realize it's a moving target. Falconry is a drug with many highs and unfortunately with some lows. If you realize this coming into it you will be fine. Falconry doesn't have to be a 365 year commitment. In fact many people trap early in Sept hunt through the fall and winter and release thier hawks in the late winter early spring all to trap a new hawk during the next hunting season. However, I am almost willing to bet you will spend most of your off time researching techniques and navigating through endless sites to further refine your skills and knowledge. Good luck and thanks for supporting the troops.