PDA

View Full Version : Hello from British Columbia

Bruce
09-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Hello All,

Just introducing myself to this forum. I work at a Zoo in Kamloops, BC training and flying raptors for flight demonstration purposes. I recognise a few names from the IFF and was hoping to touch base with raptor people closer to home. I have no urge to hunt with a bird at this time and I know that means I may never be a true falconer but still love to chat and read about other peoples exploits. Currently flying a male and female harris hawk, redtail hawk, gyr/lanner falcon, turkey vulture, snowy owl, burrowing owl, barn owl, and working with a male female pair of peregrine falcons inorder to get some chicks to train in the future.
Cheers,

Bruce

everetkhorton
09-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Hello All,

Just introducing myself to this forum. I work at a Zoo in Kamloops, BC training and flying raptors for flight demonstration purposes. I recognise a few names from the IFF and was hoping to touch base with raptor people closer to home. I have no urge to hunt with a bird at this time and I know that means I may never be a true falconer but still love to chat and read about other peoples exploits. Currently flying a male and female harris hawk, redtail hawk, gyr/lanner falcon, turkey vulture, snowy owl, burrowing owl, barn owl, and working with a male female pair of peregrine falcons inorder to get some chicks to train in the future.
Cheers,

Bruce

Welcome Bruce, enjoy the site/

Jimmy
09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Howdy Bruce.

robhawkyyz
09-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Glad to have you here... send pictures of the gyrs... how is neil peart doining???

Eagle Owl
09-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Welcome to NAFEX!

Grahame
09-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi Bruce,

Welcome from Calgary, Alberta.

outhawkn
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Well its about time you made the leap over to here! [smilie=banana.gif]

How are you doing?

Bill
outhawkn

Bruce
11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the wishes. Hey Bill, thanks for all your info on the other site about the peregrines in the beginning. Still intend to name the first Bill if we ever get a fertile egg anytime in the future. Never heard of Neal peart so can't tell you how he is doing. I am currently trying to decide what to do about my work situation, am if I will be able to continue working with the birds in the future. The zoo has decided to offer a full time position internally to union staff which is great as it is what I really want to do. The big problem is that the wage is about 4 dollars an hour less than I am currently making at the zoo now. I am technically what the call a Maintenance Coordinator and was allowed to train all the birds for our diplsay because I was the only one who had any training when they really needed it last spring. It is now almost one year later and they have decided to make the full time raptor position but I would have to agree to this pay cut. At this time I intend to apply for the position and push for a continuation of my current wage.
Cheers,

Bruce

wesleyc6
11-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Bruce,
Good to have you here. Good luck with the job. I was offered a full time raptor position once and had to turn it down. It was hard, but I know it was the right choice and don't regret it. Maybe for you the right choice will be to take a raptor position. Please let us know how it goes!

`Chris L.
11-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Bruce,
Great to have you here. I hope you enjoy the site and please let us know if you need anything. We have a great group here...

Bodarc
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Hello Bruce and welcome.

I have to say that BC is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I loved it there.

Bruce
11-21-2007, 11:42 PM
You are right Bodarc. Living here you take it for granted but it is quite spectacular. I have travelled quite a few places in the world and seen some pretty awesome stuff but I must say that I try to stop and appreciate where I live as often as possible. The group seems to be very nice so far and very helpful from the few posts I have read. I hope to learn lots as I love to learn new things and am very open to new ideas and training methods.
Cheers,

Bruce[/img]