PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Washington state!

Isobael
09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey, my name is Sandie. I'm a pre-apprentice, actually. Right now, I'm studying for my test, gathering all the info I can on the mews.

I've ALWAYS wanted to get into falconry, ever since I was little, but I was always told that women could not do that, or it was better to work for the zoo, or a million other excuses for me not to do it, and unfortunately, I believed it. So now, I'm a 35 year old woman just now trying to make my dream come true.

I live in Renton, WA, which is just a hop and skip away from Seattle.

I'm also looking for a sponsor, but understand that many sponsors won't even deal with anyone until the test is taken care of, to show they are serious.

I'm married to a man who is handy with all the power tools, LOL...he's a contractor and builds yachts, so he's already started designing a mansion for the hawk I will eventually trap, despite my protests.

Anyway...just a wave to all of you and I look forward to learning from all the posts.

=)

kimmerar
09-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi Sandie

Welcome to the board. I was 36 when I started my falconry adventure. Get the test taken and get that inspection done so you can get a bird. Keep us posted.

chamokane
09-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Welcome Sandie,

Don't believe anyone who tells you you can't or shouldn't be a falconer. There are many women who are great falconers, several in WA.

There are quite a few good falconers in western Washington. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a good sponsor. Be sure to get in touch with Washington Falconers Association. http://wafalconers.org/

Also don't listen to folks who tell you to wait until you have more free time to get into falconry or you'll never get started. If you're sure it's something you really want to do, just kick down the walls and do it. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

outhawkn
09-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Welcome
The only time I have a problem with a woman wanting to be a falconer is...is...well Hell, cant think of a time. [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Have fun and ask questions.

Bill

everetkhorton
09-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey, my name is Sandie. I'm a pre-apprentice, actually. Right now, I'm studying for my test, gathering all the info I can on the mews.

I've ALWAYS wanted to get into falconry, ever since I was little, but I was always told that women could not do that, or it was better to work for the zoo, or a million other excuses for me not to do it, and unfortunately, I believed it. So now, I'm a 35 year old woman just now trying to make my dream come true.

I live in Renton, WA, which is just a hop and skip away from Seattle.

I'm also looking for a sponsor, but understand that many sponsors won't even deal with anyone until the test is taken care of, to show they are serious.

I'm married to a man who is handy with all the power tools, LOL...he's a contractor and builds yachts, so he's already started designing a mansion for the hawk I will eventually trap, despite my protests.

Anyway...just a wave to all of you and I look forward to learning from all the posts.

=)

Sandie:
Welcome to the site. The only bad thing with falconry is that it takes over your hole life. If you happen to pass a falconer going down the road with his nose in the air. He is not being a $^^ $%^& he is just trapping.
There are some outstanding ladies falconer out there. I would never sell any woman falconer short. I you read my post I always start out with new people posting by asking them to go into ther profile and have there real name add auto. Sandie is a nice name to remember. Have fun and good luck with everything.