PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Calgary, Alberta (Canada).

jjcjfl26
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi,
I am so happy to be here! It was only the past day that I discovered Falconry. I always assumed that it would be illegal to be in possesion of a raptor....I am soo glad that I am wrong! It is awesome to hear that I can be a guide to these bird to hunt!

Please bear with me with all of my questions. I would really like to know as much as I can about these great birds prior to getting one. I have contacted the local Falconry association and have signed out a few books in the library.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Lans

Grahame
08-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Welcome Lans.

Who did you contact at AFA (Alberta Falconry Association)?

Grahame Booth
Calgary, Alberta

jjcjfl26
08-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Welcome Lans.

Who did you contact at AFA (Alberta Falconry Association)?

Grahame Booth
Calgary, Alberta

Hi,
I did and got an immediate reply back from Alex Stokes. I have requested a membership form and asked for early registration for 2010 CANADIAN NATIONAL FALCONRY MEET.

Grahame, it is great to meet someone in this board from Calgary. If you do not mind me asking, how long have you been into this wonderful world of Falconry?

Regards,
Lans

Grahame
08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I will be attending the meet also. Looking very forward to it.

I have been practicing falconry for 3 years now though I looked into it a few years before and decided I was not quite ready due to work and family commitments. I did go hunting with several of the guys over a couple of years.

My first 2 years I flew a male passage Red-tail. Then I had a tiercel Peregrine that sadly broke his back early in the season. I finished the season with a rehab juvenile Red-tail. Both Red-tails were released.

I have chosen to not have a bird this season as we are looking to move and I plan to next get a Harris Hawk which will require a heated mews.

jjcjfl26
08-28-2010, 02:48 AM
I will be attending the meet also. Looking very forward to it.

I have been practicing falconry for 3 years now though I looked into it a few years before and decided I was not quite ready due to work and family commitments. I did go hunting with several of the guys over a couple of years.

My first 2 years I flew a male passage Red-tail. Then I had a tiercel Peregrine that sadly broke his back early in the season. I finished the season with a rehab juvenile Red-tail. Both Red-tails were released.

I have chosen to not have a bird this season as we are looking to move and I plan to next get a Harris Hawk which will require a heated mews.

Hi,
Wow...3 years and have had several raptors (very impressive imo).

I hope you do not mind if I ask you in advance if it is ok for me to ask you questions on falconry? We both live in the same city and I would assume that you very much been in the road that I plan to travel....I just want the best for the birds and want to make sure that I know what I am doing prior to even considering taking one in.

Thanks in advance and looking forward in seeing you in the meet.

Regards,
Jerome

everetkhorton
08-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Welcome to NAFEX Lans

jjcjfl26
08-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Lans

Thank you sir

Grahame
08-28-2010, 07:34 PM
I am far for a seasoned veteran but you may ask anything you wish. I am still good friends with my sponsor (who lives in Cochrane) and I go out with Alex, Mark, Jonny, Shawn, Jo and my past sponsor. You will meet them all at the falconry meet.

If I don't have a suitable answer, others here while chime in and I can always put you in contact with one of our other local members.

Grahame Booth
Calgary, Aberta

jjcjfl26
08-29-2010, 02:27 AM
I am far for a seasoned veteran but you may ask anything you wish. I am still good friends with my sponsor (who lives in Cochrane) and I go out with Alex, Mark, Jonny, Shawn, Jo and my past sponsor. You will meet them all at the falconry meet.

If I don't have a suitable answer, others here while chime in and I can always put you in contact with one of our other local members.

Grahame Booth
Calgary, Aberta

Thank you Grahame for the support. Looking forward in meeting you guys in the October.

Regards,
Jerome

Ross
08-29-2010, 07:01 AM
I wouldn't have guessed a thread requesting first information on flying hawks in Calgary would turn to focus on Harris Hawks????

longwinger2010
08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Welcome to NAFEX.net !

jjcjfl26
08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Welcome to NAFEX.net !

Thank you :D