PDA

View Full Version : Micro Transmitter---how long continuous operation?

GONEHAWKN
08-26-2010, 07:49 PM
so i have been using Marshall transmitters exclusively now for about the last 5 years. I am looking to buy a Merlin size transmitter and of course my first stop was the Marshall page. Looking at the Micro i do not see a continuous operation life span of the transmitter with fresh batteries. Anyone car to chime in here. Looking at the Merlin Systems MX Mini as well. It has a 3 day continuous operation life span and a 6 inch antenna. Thanks in advance for any input.

GONEHAWKN
08-26-2010, 07:59 PM
ok...just found on WSP page that it has a 96 hour or 4 days of continuous use span........

Squirrelhawkin
08-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Northwoods add says 6 days

RLBagley
08-27-2010, 12:58 PM
so i have been using Marshall transmitters exclusively now for about the last 5 years. I am looking to buy a Merlin size transmitter and of course my first stop was the Marshall page. Looking at the Micro i do not see a continuous operation life span of the transmitter with fresh batteries. Anyone car to chime in here. Looking at the Merlin Systems MX Mini as well. It has a 3 day continuous operation life span and a 6 inch antenna. Thanks in advance for any input.

Hello Bill and thanks for the inquiry.

There's places you can find the right answer to this question, but since we recently rearranged and added a lot of new content to the Website, it may be in a new place.

The new format is intended to be simple and uncluttered yet supported by a whole lot of substance just one level below. So, while each product looks like just an image and a paragraph, that's just an intro, a summary to verify what you're after. If is, then click on the image, or the "Read More" link and you'll get all the detail needed, including Features, Q&A, what Customers Say, and an image Gallery of detailed studio and field shots for just that model.

Anyway, here's two places.

1) On the new Website (http://marshallradio.com/en/home), Transmitters Page (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/itemlist/category/73-transmitters) > Micro (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-transmitters/item/126-micro-transmitter) (click to open up expanded content layer) > Tab "Key Features"

There it says:

"MOST POWER POSSIBLE FROM TINY BATTERY

Using the very small and light lithium coin cells, the Micro transmitter is engineered to radiate the most power possible while squeezing the battery's reserves most efficiently. At room temperature, the Micro will transmit continuously for 30 hours of normal use (30 one hour flights, one month) before telling you to change the battery with a double beep every tenth pulse. After that, the battery runs about 70 more hours for a total time of 100 hours. Using the Mag switch to Tap on and off for each flight, this might translate into one or two months of normal use per battery change, while always maintaining a safety margin of three days to look for a lost bird.

You can leave your battery in the Micro for up to six months. The transmitter keeps track of cumulative transmission time to estimate remaining battery life, even when not transmitting."

2) On the new Website (http://marshallradio.com/en/home), "Customer Support" Tab > Owner's Manuals (http://marshallradio.com/en/am-falconry-support/owners-manuals) ) > Tab "Micro" > User Guide (click to download the .pdf file)

In there is says:

"Battery Life: At room temperature the MICRO will transmit continuously for 30 hours of normal use before telling you to change battery with a “double beep” every 10 pulses. After that, the 1225 battery runs about 68 hours longer for a total of about 96 hours. These numbers are not as small as they may seem – with Tap On /Tap Off you’ll use the transmitter only when flying, giving 30 one-hour flights, or perhaps a couple of months of use on a single battery.

Apollo 13 Mode: If the transmitter has been going for ten hours, the transmitter figures your bird is probably lost and does what NASA would do in the same situation, conserving battery life with shorter and less frequent pulses. If your bird was lost with a new battery, Apollo 13 Mode would come on after ten hours and, if you still haven’t found the bird, the transmitter would last another five days or so. If you lost the bird just before the double beep came on, it would last another three and a half days.

Cold Temperatures: If the bird will be in very cold conditions or if it may become lost overnight when the temperature drops, you should always use a new battery. As coin cell batteries run through their life cycle, they lose some of their ability to provide current to run the transmitter in cold temperatures. A MICRO with a new battery will operate in extreme cold, down to -40C (-40F). But after 48 hours of normal use the same battery may not work below -18C (0 F).

In cold weather flying, the cost of a new battery is negligible compared with the protection it provides against loss of the bird. Keep plenty of batteries on hand and use them – the shelf-life of these lithium batteries is about seven years.

You can leave your battery in the MICRO for up to six months. The transmitter keeps track of cumulative transmission time to estimate remaining battery life, even when not transmitting.

Note: All the numbers given here are approximations and are not guaranteed."

This detail should help you in your deliberations and comparisons. . .
RB

GONEHAWKN
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
thanks for the info...i have been real happy with my Marshall Scouts for the last 5 or so years on my hen RT(let me tell ya, she hammers some squirrels in the trees. i leg mount the transmitter and i shocked that it has not either come apart or just plain stopped working) i would have been through 1 or 2 of the standard potted stlye, button battery operated transmitters already i am sure. SO, i think i will just order the Micro.

keitht
08-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I have been using the micro's on my tiercel coops for years. I change out the batteries about once each week.

RLBagley
08-27-2010, 03:40 PM
thanks for the info...i have been real happy with my Marshall Scouts for the last 5 or so years on my hen RT(let me tell ya, she hammers some squirrels in the trees. i leg mount the transmitter and i shocked that it has not either come apart or just plain stopped working) i would have been through 1 or 2 of the standard potted stlye, button battery operated transmitters already i am sure. SO, i think i will just order the Micro.

Good to hear.

We went with the larger 2032 lithium coin cell battery to give it such great power for longer periods since the Scout was originally intended for only those guys flying the larger birds.

It's always the battery that gives and enclosed case transmitter it's size and shape since you design those tiny aluminum cases to look sort of "vacuum packed" around it . . . so, flat and round it is.

But yes, you can whack it on the table and the shock it can take is pretty severe.

RB

RLBagley
08-27-2010, 03:41 PM
I have been using the micro's on my tiercel coops for years. I change out the batteries about once each week.

That's also a good plan.

Simple to remember.

And a $2 per week Insurance Premium.

GONEHAWKN
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
this is a thought: has Marshall thought about making their caps blank on the transmitters to allow the falconer to have their contact info engraved on it? just for the record, i get Renatta batteries through a place for about $.30 a piece. so yes, cheap insurance. on my scouts, i just replace once a month.

goshawks00
08-27-2010, 05:52 PM

clappclappclappclapp

RLBagley
08-27-2010, 05:56 PM
this is a thought: has Marshall thought about making their caps blank on the transmitters to allow the falconer to have their contact info engraved on it? just for the record, i get Renatta batteries through a place for about $.30 a piece. so yes, cheap insurance. on my scouts, i just replace once a month.

Well yes, in fact.

About two years ago we brought the Lasering process in-house so we could more easily do that very thing (custom engraved lids). And those nice round flat lids give you space for that very thing.

Check this link right here (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-accessories/item/145-replacement-lids-for-transmitters).

RB

GONEHAWKN
08-28-2010, 03:04 AM
and here i thought i was onto something!!! thanks.....

frootdog
08-28-2010, 09:22 AM
How bout putting a fresh battery in it and turning it on. When it dies then you know how long YOUR transmitter will last.

Bryant Tarr
08-28-2010, 11:43 AM
How bout putting a fresh battery in it and turning it on. When it dies then you know how long YOUR transmitter will last.

But be careful where you do this in regards to other falconer ;) I did that when I lived in Boise once and had a very unhappy pair of longwingers show up at my door asking if I had their falcon inside. You can imagine how disappointing it was for them to learn they had been chasing the wrong signal and how happy with me they were about me testing my transmitter.

That's when you KNOW there are too many damned falconers around :D

jfseaman
08-28-2010, 11:53 AM
But be careful where you do this in regards to other falconer ;) I did that when I lived in Boise once and had a very unhappy pair of longwingers show up at my door asking if I had their falcon inside. You can imagine how disappointing it was for them to learn they had been chasing the wrong signal and how happy with me they were about me testing my transmitter.

I placed mine in a paper towel tube wrapped in foil and kept in the basement.

I could get a beep from the end of the tube but not outside the house.

GONEHAWKN
08-28-2010, 12:47 PM

this has already been considered and will probably be done once i have the transmitter in-hand. until then i wanted an approximate estimation on the life span of the unit with a fresh battery BEFORE i bought it........

frootdog
08-28-2010, 10:25 PM

That's funny, but I feel with the scout it will be more of a problem as I know of many a falconer that throws batteries in, turns it on and changes them out at the first of every month. That way if anything happens when NOT flying and the bird gets loose then you have a way to find your lost bird.

Ken S.
08-29-2010, 09:41 AM
That's funny, but I feel with the scout it will be more of a problem as I know of many a falconer that throws batteries in, turns it on and changes them out at the first of every month. That way if anything happens when NOT flying and the bird gets loose then you have a way to find your lost bird.

A few years ago I bought a Holohil transmitter and used it as my emergency tailmount with a goshawk I was raising (also used a Marshall legmount when hawking). For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the Holohil transmitters are always on and run for about 6 months or so, then you send them in and get the internal battery replaced. I started using the Holohil around August that year, and had it on all season, and when the tail feathers molted out I just put them into a coffee can (transmitter still attached) and forgot all about it. Then as Fall was approaching I bought a new Tracker receiver and was testing it in my yard with a new transmitter. I kept getting really confusing signals with the new transmitter, and thought my new Tracker was busted. Long story short... after turning off the new transmitter and realizing I was still getting a signal, I eventually tracked down the confusing signal to a coffee can in my own basement, with a still active Holohil transmitter in it. I was shocked... I had totally forgotten about the Holohil still attached to the molted feathers. I had been expecting 6-8 months of battery and the thing was still going after almost a year! I guess if I'm gonna use one of those again I should pick an uncommon frequency... I could see something like that causing some issues at a NAFA meet especially.

Bill - I have a new Micro you can borrow for a few months to try out if you want.

GONEHAWKN
08-29-2010, 01:23 PM
most kind of you Ken. haill but considering i will be mounting this on a Merlin, which is ALL new territory for me, i think i would rather it fly off with MY transmitter than yours!!:D but i will be in touch.;)