Saturday night banquet with guest speaker Ed Pitcher
Plenty of ducks, cottontails and jacks

Everyone is invited!!

More information at http://www.coloradohawkingclub.com/Events/2010fieldmeet.htm

Thank you,
Andy Hall

andy hall
09-27-2010, 08:24 PM
The meet coordinator, Roger Tucker, has asked anyone who is planning on attending to give us a heads up. Please email him at quailhawker@yahoo.com, thanks everyone and I hope to see some of you there.

Andy Hall

Hunter45
09-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Yes, Alamosa and the San Luis Valley is truly some of the most scenic hawking country in North America. If you have any doubts, enjoy my favorite memory from 2007 NAFA Meet visit. That day lives in my heart and mind.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/dale1908eleanor/DSCN4749C46Scenic.jpg

andy hall
09-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the great pic and endorsement Greg.

Andy

sharptail
09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Great picture Greg!! Will you also be attending the AFC meet at EL Dorado Ks., from Nov. 15-20 this year?

Hunter45
09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Great picture Greg!! Will you also be attending the AFC meet at EL Dorado Ks., from Nov. 15-20 this year?

Jeff, I believe the AFC holds its Meet every OTHER year, so their next one will be in 2011. The info under the "Field Meet" tab of their website indicates the same in the last paragraph of their recounting of the 2009 Meet activities.

As a NAFA Director at Large, I make an effort to attend as many state and national falconry meets/events as possible, as well as individual falconer wherever I travel. The limitations are, of course, cost and time available. This allows me to get as much direct contact as possible with as many falconers as possible.

You no doubt recall how on my return road trip with my son from California, where I was recovering from the terrible April 9 accident that you know about, that I had tried to set up a visit w/you, but you were off doing abatement work in Washington state (yes?).

I hope you are already having fun flying grouse. The bird in the pic, Tess, is raring to go and give those KS jacks a hard time. If my travels take me w/in striking distance of your place, you know I'll be calling. Take care and God bless.

Dutch
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Greg,
I have that picture of the first CHC meet in the San Louis Valley in 1968. We appear to be younger then. If you coach me, I could add that picture to this thread.
Or if you have one, you should add it to this thread.

J. Stoddart

frootdog
09-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Greg AFC is holding a meet in El Dorado, KS again this year. It was in the meeting minutes sent out in the last news letter.

sharptail
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Jeff, I believe the AFC holds its Meet every OTHER year, so their next one will be in 2011. The info under the "Field Meet" tab of their website indicates the same in the last paragraph of their recounting of the 2009 Meet activities.

As a NAFA Director at Large, I make an effort to attend as many state and national falconry meets/events as possible, as well as individual falconer wherever I travel. The limitations are, of course, cost and time available. This allows me to get as much direct contact as possible with as many falconers as possible.

You no doubt recall how on my return road trip with my son from California, where I was recovering from the terrible April 9 accident that you know about, that I had tried to set up a visit w/you, but you were off doing abatement work in Washington state (yes?).

I hope you are already having fun flying grouse. The bird in the pic, Tess, is raring to go and give those KS jacks a hard time. If my travels take me w/in striking distance of your place, you know I'll be calling. Take care and God bless.Well since El Dorado is on your way to Dodge and I will be attending as the new AFC mountain director, we should finally meet in person there!(yes?)

YES, I remember hearing about your road trip from my wife and am sorry we missed each other and I was indeed working in Wa.. No such luck on being home to start the gyrs, I am working at Sebastopol Ca. for the next few weeks.

I too hope that we can get together soon if not this year, I have a new found interest in Redtailed Hawks and Whitetailed Jacks!

Hunter45
09-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Greg,
I have that picture of the first CHC meet in the San Louis Valley in 1968. We appear to be younger then. If you coach me, I could add that picture to this thread.
Or if you have one, you should add it to this thread.

J. Stoddart

What a hoot! Folks could see we weren't always grizzled old curmudgeons. :D I had no remembrance of that being the FIRST CHC Meet in the San Luis Valley.

To get your pic on this forum, go to www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com) and sign up for a free account. It's easy to upload digital pics to your account and to then "share" them in different formats/places like this forum. You just copy the link that does that and then you paste it into a message like this. The pic above was done that way. If you only have an actual print, slide, or negative, you will have to scan it and save it in an appropriate format like .jpg. Then you can upload it. If you need more assistance, give me a call.

Hunter45
09-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Well since El Dorado is on your way to Dodge and I will be attending as the new AFC mountain director, we should finally meet in person there!(yes?)

YES, I remember hearing about your road trip from my wife and am sorry we missed each other and I was indeed working in Wa.. No such luck on being home to start the gyrs, I am working at Sebastopol Ca. for the next few weeks.

I too hope that we can get together soon if not this year, I have a new found interest in Redtailed Hawks and Whitetailed Jacks!

So, are you saying there WILL be an AFC Meet this year in El Dorado, or am I correct in thinking it will be there NEXT year? Last year I split the week before NAFA between GOE in Garden City and AFC in El Dorado, before continuing on to Woodward.

So, if there is an AFC Meet this year, yes, I could try to swing by for a couple of days and we could meet each other face to face. Any chance you're going on to Dodge City for NAFA? Confirm on both these, please.

And I think you would find a nice sized PFRT a very fun experience on jacks, especially if you "muscle her up" with my weighted leash conditioning system. Search the threads on here for my input on the one called "Lifting Weights Anyone?" Being strong translates into ability, attitude, and perseverance. Tess handles jacks better than any bird I've flown and rarely do I have worry about rushing in to stop the "rodeo ride" you sometimes see in jack flights. Canadian Director Mark Williams went out with me, Dave Noble (WI), and Danny Denham (KY) to take pics last year and said he had a whole new respect for the RT after seeing our birds fly; i.e. he'd never really seen good RTs fly before. It will be a nice compliment to your excellent grouse hawking; different but very satisfying in its own way. I'm reading Ed Pitcher's new book and am already wondering how I can adapt some of his concepts to my work w/RTs. He is a very eloquent and inspiring writer.

Take care and God bless!

sharptail
09-29-2010, 06:51 PM
So, are you saying there WILL be an AFC Meet this year in El Dorado, or am I correct in thinking it will be there NEXT year? Last year I split the week before NAFA between GOE in Garden City and AFC in El Dorado, before continuing on to Woodward.

So, if there is an AFC Meet this year, yes, I could try to swing by for a couple of days and we could meet each other face to face. Any chance you're going on to Dodge City for NAFA? Confirm on both these, please.

And I think you would find a nice sized PFRT a very fun experience on jacks, especially if you "muscle her up" with my weighted leash conditioning system. Search the threads on here for my input on the one called "Lifting Weights Anyone?" Being strong translates into ability, attitude, and perseverance. Tess handles jacks better than any bird I've flown and rarely do I have worry about rushing in to stop the "rodeo ride" you sometimes see in jack flights. Canadian Director Mark Williams went out with me, Dave Noble (WI), and Danny Denham (KY) to take pics last year and said he had a whole new respect for the RT after seeing our birds fly; i.e. he'd never really seen good RTs fly before. It will be a nice compliment to your excellent grouse hawking; different but very satisfying in its own way. I'm reading Ed Pitcher's new book and am already wondering how I can adapt some of his concepts to my work w/RTs. He is a very eloquent and inspiring writer.

Take care and God bless!Yes, the AFC IS HOLDING A MEET THIS YEAR, and it will be a El Dorado Ks., from Tuesday through Saturday, Nov 15-20, there is no registration fee. It will be great to see you there.

Deer season close in my county is also Nov. 20, and I plan to cut tracks home to get the gyrs started, taking full advantage of the extra 10 days of a lot fewer hunters in the field and much better access to hawking ground, as Wyoming has commercial hunting and land holders just say no during this time.

You should swing by...bet we could find a few whitetails!

Hunter45
09-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Yes, the AFC IS HOLDING A MEET THIS YEAR, and it will be a El Dorado Ks., from Tuesday through Saturday, Nov 15-20, there is no registration fee. It will be great to see you there.

Deer season close in my county is also Nov. 20, and I plan to cut tracks home to get the gyrs started, taking full advantage of the extra 10 days of a lot fewer hunters in the field and much better access to hawking ground, as Wyoming has commercial hunting and land holders just say no during this time.

You should swing by...bet we could find a few whitetails!

So you'll be in El Dorado for the whole AFC Meet? I'll make an effort to do it like I did last year; do GOE first half and then AFC before heading on to NAFA. Look fwd to seeing you! AND, I may swing north in early Dec. and try to see you and my friend Dan McCarron as I work my way out to see my daughter and her family in No. CA (at least I think that is feasible - need to look at a map!). What's a WY out of state license to hawk whitetails going to set me back?

sharptail
09-30-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't remember the cost of the license off hand but we have been more reasonable than our neighbors. Last year, a license to hunt jacks in SD was about 43 bucks and it is only 1/2 an hour east.

Dan and I live in almost oppisit corners of the state. He is SW and I am extreme NE. My guess on drive time would be around 8 hours in good weather.

wyodjm
09-30-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't remember the cost of the license off hand but we have been more reasonable than our neighbors. Last year, a license to hunt jacks in SD was about 43 bucks and it is only 1/2 an hour east.

Dan and I live in almost oppisit corners of the state. He is SW and I am extreme NE. My guess on drive time would be around 8 hours in good weather.

Hi Jeff and Greg:

Wyoming's nonresident fees to hawk in the state:

Annual nonresident bird / small game combined license (no separate bird or small game licenses sold to nonresidents) - $ 72.

One-day nonresident bird / small game license - $ 20.

Conservation stamp - $ 12. (The same for residents and nonresidents.)

License to hunt with falcon - $ 16. (The same for residents and nonresidents.)

You don’t need a hunting license to hunt jacks in Wyoming. They’re not a small game species. However, it’s a good idea to have the bird / small game license in hand just in case your bird catches a cottontail, which is a small game species.

Best,

Dan

sharptail
09-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks Dan!

Hunter45
09-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Dan and I live in almost opposite corners of the state. He is SW and I am extreme NE. My guess on drive time would be around 8 hours in good weather.

Well, it's something less than 700 miles from western KS to Hulett, and then 8 hours you say to visit Dan in SW WY, then it's a nice relatively straight shot across UT and NV to end up in Ukiah, CA where my daughter and her family live. I can think of several more falconry friends to visit on the way. Total is some 2,100 miles (OPEC has to love my diesel truck), but what a great time I would have. Let's see how things work out, guys!:D

Dutch
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
The first CHC meet was in Sterling, Colorado in 1965, but that 1968 meet was the first CHC meet in the San Luis, Valley.

J. Stoddart