PDA

View Full Version : tail mount AND leg mount?

GONEHAWKN
10-16-2010, 04:18 AM
so i have narrowed it down to the Micro to fly on my new Merlin. i use Marshall transmitters exclusively. my question is this; can one get a Micro with both leg and tail(will use with a backpack in my case) mounts on the transmitter? i would hate to have to buy 2 transmitters in the event that my Merlin does not take to either neck mounting or the backpack. it would be nice to be able to say, "ok. she wont wear this on her back. lets see if she will wear it on the neck." without having to buy a 2nd transmitter.

dtl8686
10-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Bill,

I am not positive if the micro is the same way as the Scout. However, I am positive that on the Scout they have the spring clip for backpack mount and still have the tab to tie a bewit through to leg mount it. You would simply remove the spring clip off the back and then re-install it when used as a backpack mount. I am pretty sure the only difference in them is that the back side will have 3 small metal tabs sticking up a bit where the spring clip used to be. The leg mount only version would be smooth on the bottom. Talk to Marshall about this, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

GONEHAWKN
10-17-2010, 03:52 AM
yeah, i gotta look at a micro the other night, in-hand. it definitely does NOT have the tab at the top for leg mounting the transmitter(this was obviously a tail mount tx)

RLBagley
10-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, the idea on the Micro was all about keeping weight to the absolute minimums, so, we ended up making the tiny antenna ferrule out of aluminum instead of brass, using smaller pitch threads to keep the lid short and . . . removing the bewit loop at the top on the Tail mount version.

Conversely, the Leg (or Neck) mount version is smooth on both sides of the case for safety reasons.

That's why on the new website, we have the detail photos showing the cases of each model, both Leg and Tail versions, top and bottom, so this is better understood before hand.

We thought, while it's a convenience to be able to remove the spring and still use the transmitter as a Leg or Tail mount, it's not ideal to still have the three tiny tiny posts there on the underside, so it's always been thought of as an emergency type thing, not a long-term use that way.

The Scout is the only model where we actually have both options (on the Tail Mount version), since it's used by larger birds and Shortwingers are always changing their minds (just joking). Whereas the Scout Leg mount version has smooth sides and is a dedicated Leg (Neck) mount.

Hope that helps some.
RB

GONEHAWKN
10-19-2010, 04:46 AM
what would be the safety concerns be for having the transmitter set-up to neck or tail mount?

RLBagley
10-19-2010, 06:03 AM
what would be the safety concerns be for having the transmitter set-up to neck or tail mount?

Just that if when you remove the spring, as it's designed to be able to do (by the human), there are three tiny little posts machined into the bottom of the case that remain exposed.

Not a big thing, but if you are going to use it over a longer period and only as a Leg mount, then that wouldn't be as ideal as having the smooth surface found on the Leg mount only version.

That's all.
RB

GONEHAWKN
10-19-2010, 12:39 PM
OK....so i guess i will cut right to the chase....there's no way i am going to get a Micro with both mounts on it, right? i mean, i really want to use a Marshall transmitter on this bird as i am TOTALLY sold on them after the last few years of flying my bird with the Scout. BUT, at this point, not knowing if this new bird will tolerate a neck mounted transmitter or a backpack mounted(i have no intentions on leg mounting this bird) transmitter leaves me in the position to consider the cost of the transmitter. i just cant swing the cost of 2 Micro's in the event one mount does not work out. BUT i can swing the cost of 2 other brands that i would rather not use.

RLBagley
10-19-2010, 02:03 PM
OK....so i guess i will cut right to the chase....there's no way i am going to get a Micro with both mounts on it, right? i mean, i really want to use a Marshall transmitter on this bird as i am TOTALLY sold on them after the last few years of flying my bird with the Scout. BUT, at this point, not knowing if this new bird will tolerate a neck mounted transmitter or a backpack mounted(i have no intentions on leg mounting this bird) transmitter leaves me in the position to consider the cost of the transmitter. i just cant swing the cost of 2 Micro's in the event one mount does not work out. BUT i can swing the cost of 2 other brands that i would rather not use.

Well then, you are in luck . . .

We have a 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee that allows you to return a transmitter for any reason whatsoever, color, size, performance, unexpected divorce, or even a situation where you find that your bird does not tolerate a particular mounting method.

So, go ahead and try it the way you'd prefer, and if there's an issue, simply return it to exchange for the other.

But, yes, the short answer is: they are designed, even peak tuned, for one or the other.

Just let us know,
RB

Ken S.
10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey Bill... I have a spare tailmount micro you can try if you want to go the backpack route first. It's brand new, so if you end up using it and like it you can buy me a replacement at your convenience... (or you can return it to me attached to a merlin lol).

Or buy the leg/neck mount one if that's what you're leaning towards and if you don't like it I could trade you or you could return to Marshall I guess. FYI - if you want to try neckmount, I have a big box of rubber bands that should be the correct size and can send you a few hundred. I used them w/ my kestrel, I think it's the size Eric had mentioned on his web site.

Hope this helps...

GONEHAWKN
10-19-2010, 03:12 PM
THANKS to both of you..i never gave the 30 day thing a thought. my first thought is that i would like to back pack the bird and see how that goes. i guess i will know real soon after the install whether she will tolerate it or not. Ken, thats a mighty generous offer man. i will let you know what route i go. hell, i gotta get this bird going first i guess....lol.....