PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Falconer from Mississippi

CTK Hawking
10-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself- figured it was only proper lol. My name is Brian Kossum and I am a 27-year old ex-Navy sailor currently living in Hattiesburg, MS. I am working on my Master's Degree in Education and will be finishing soon, thank god. I have a 2-year old son who loves his animals as much as I do. We currently have a small loft of about 8 racing pigeons. We don't race much, just let them fly around the neighborhood. We are both bird lovers, and while I realize a bird of prey is not for a 2-year old, I have acquired an interest in these birds that I hope I to pass on to him. I am just getting started (like in I've talked to the Mississippi Wildlife people on the phone and couple of Master Falconers) and things were moving slowly until I found this website. Right now, I am looking to scratch up some study info for the test. One guy recommened Beebe and Webster's (of course) and Peterson's Field Guide to Birds of Prey. Tonight I've been reading the threads in the Apprentice section. A lot of those links seem to have expired, so I am having trouble locating some of the study guides. But it seems I could learn a lot just from scanning these posts. I guess I'll wrap it up by saying thanks for posting on this forum- the information is valuable to a new guy like me trying to get started.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Kossum

everetkhorton
10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
(welc) Brian, Watch out falconry can get under your skin real fast. Lots of good reading on this site.

hawkguy1
10-25-2010, 10:30 PM
(welc)to NAFEX Brian!

aking
11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I grew up in Tupelo, MS. but never been hawking there and would very much like to go out with local hunters. I'm in Tacoma WA and have a good deal of access to books and equipment here. If you would like advice on what to study, talk to me. I also would like to place a hunting dachshund with a new apprentice. I'll be visiting for 2wks during the holiday and would like to find a home for a 2yr old female with a great nose for field hunting.

Check out this website for good info to apprentices. http://www.northwoodsfalconry.com/

michaelberan
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey Brian,
ex-submariner here SSBN 658 nuclear weapons C4 back-fit, there is Walter Brown in Natchez, Ms he was Dusty Smiths Master, might give him a call, I'm down in New Orleans right now and we are hunting Swamp Rabbits if you want to make the trip down, if you have hunting area I might be convinced to come catch some of your squirrels since you wont need them this year anyway.
call me on my cell 318-572-2594