Hello everyone

I'm Matthew Ransom and I live in Wake Village TX (just outside Texarkana). I'm in my second year of apprenticeship with my second sponsor and second redtail. Boy! Have I got a lot to learn.

My first sponsor was near Sedona, AZ and was almost entirely hands off Though he only lived two towns over, he was always very (too) busy to spend time with me. He flew peregrines, though I was never allowed to see him hunt with them. Begging was no use. Because of this, my falconry has mostly been forum, book and self-taught: not the best way to learn.

I moved to Wake Village Texas and ended up with no falconers on the Texas side for nearly a three hour's drive. I do have a friend and former Brewer apprentice in the next town, Alfred Johnson, who has been very helpful. Unfortunately, he's usually busy or out of town.

I've only seen Brian Baker catch game (squirrels) with a redtail. As you can see, I've had a difficult but not untraveled road as an apprentice. I've heard of others having it much worse, so I count my blessings. Long distance sponsorship sucks even in the best of times. No one can see me make bone-headed mistakes and offer a timely correction.

For anyone who doesn't know Gary Brewer. He's a great squirrel hawker (just get near him and he'll tell you so). I can't judge one way or the other, since I know little of other squirrel hawkers. This being said, Gary has a few quirks as a sponsor. I find them challenging at times.

* He will not initiate contact with any of his apprentices. They must always call him.

* He says he started squirrel hawking in the US, his ways are better than anyone elses, and he can prove it.

Though I'm in my second year, I'm really starting my first when it comes to hunting. I've only ever caught one rabbit with my last bird. I couldn't find game . I know now that her weigt was too high (response was terrible. I'm surprised she didn't bugger off).

Weight and response is spot on with my 38 ounce female redtail, Sunny. She may even be a bit sharp. I'll have to try her at 39 and see about her response. Now I just need to kill some squirrels and do it well and consistantly.