Quote Originally Posted by redtailsrule View Post
Have you read The Flying of Falcons? Ed explains what the behaviors you are seeing mean. Screaming is a location ploy as you are its sibling or parent. Screaming and carrying are an invitation to be chased by the siblings. When the hungriest sibling has robbed the food it gives a posture to tell the others it isn't playing around and I'm going to eat this. Its all about play untill the hungriest bird has it. The story of his imprint prairie that he turned around from a screaming behavioral mess into a silent and aggressive predator with a passage birds mentality was very interesting. He cut off social interactions with the bird and put her on the "do or die" schedule with a pigeon on a line that if she didn't kill she was put away for another day. I don't know if you could be that drastic with a small bird but the point was directing the birds attention to the only task it needs to perform to live and that's to kill. When she was hungry enough the social aspects went away. The low weights where short lived and the weight increased back to a very healthy level. I'm not an expert but the way Ed explained it made a lot of sense to me. Good luck, one of these days I might try an imprint and I hope I can make it a silent bird.
I have tried Ed's method, but without success. I hunted Francisco at 360 grams last year- over the past couple of months I slowly and carefully cut his weight down to 260. Obviously, one of my discoveries was that I was flying him too heavy, but when we got down to 260 it was evident that that was as low as I could go. However, even at that weight he would scream instead of eating right away, even though it was obvious that it was taking all of the little bit of energy he had to scream. I've brought him back up to 300, which seems to be a proper flying weight for him, and at this point I'm just hoping that the screaming will get better with age.