Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: remote signalling device

Default Homebuilt radio stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Ron, just thinking out loud but could it be made as a kit where folks bought the kit with certain parts and then bought or used other things to make the parts needed to finish making it so that it wouldn't have to be massed produced. And would that eliminate the FCC certification process? Something sort of how Bruce sold the insides of a bownet trigger release and then posted a thread on how to hook it all up and what to buy to finish it off. Again, I know nothing about any of this stuff so just thinking out loud.
    Fred,

If you home build it, build less than five, have a ham license, operate on a ham frequency, use it strictly for hobby and recreational purposes, and it does an I.D. very ten minutes or less you are belt and suspenders legal. The five or less homebuilt makes you exempt from the type certification rules. The ham license and ID every ten minutes makes you legal to operate on the ham frequencies (within basic rules of courtesy, non-commercial, and sharing the resource).

With a ham license the DIY transmitters from The Cheap Beep Project are 100% legal if you have less than 5 of them (and no using them for abatement hawks).

As a note on Ron's comments about surface mount parts. The CBP transmitters use what are considered fat and clunky surface mount parts by current standards. These are possible for a first timer to solder by hand. The parts used in current generation consumer electronics can not be hand soldered.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Desert
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Default Electric bells

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    Hi Jim.

This gadget you speak of has another great use - its a remote control bell for finding hawks. Wouldn't completely replace a bell in my mind, but I cant tell you how many 1,000s of times I was searching within earshot of my hawk who was sitting tight and still. If I could have triggered the bell to ring in those moments remotely I could get those sessions to end.
    Geoff,

Luksander is making an electric bell. Just a battery and a beeper to give a bell that sounds all the time without the hawk moving.
    Don't know if this would fit your needs.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Desert
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post
    Geoff,

Luksander is making an electric bell. Just a battery and a beeper to give a bell that sounds all the time without the hawk moving.
    Don't know if this would fit your needs.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Desert
    Thanks for the suggestion Tom

I am aware of that gadget - not quite what I am looking for, and definitely not what I want to use in the field. I would love an electronic bell, but not one that is constantly squawking. I want one that is either using a motion detector and ringing only when there is movement, or preferably one that does that AND rings when I push a button in my pocket.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Default Current?

Most of the developmental talk was from 2014. Does anyone know if this remote OC device has come to fruition?
    Tim Marshall-Lasting change, the kind that liberates nations, ends a dark age, or moves mankind forward does not occur by laws or mandates, and not by war or coercion. It happens one heart at a time, slowly, and only with noble passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Agapeace View Post
    Most of the developmental talk was from 2014. Does anyone know if this remote OC device has come to fruition?
    Sort of. I have a working prototype but put it aside because packaging the part that goes on the bird seemed to be too costly to warrant the cost of a mold or machining. For a larger animal it is easy. I have had some discussion with another NAFEX member who shall remain nameless unless he choses to chime in. What it boils down to is would the number of potential purchasers support the cost to package it.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Default Short range locators?

It has been a year or two since I looked into pet tags. Some of the GPS pet tags are getting down to the 28 gram range.

In the meantime I have stumbled onto a "loc8tor" key finder that is being marketed as a cat finder. Like many consumer buy me blurbs there is a lot of "wonderful" and "easy" with very little "this is how it actually works". As best I can make out the "finder" gives some directionality and you press a button to get the tag to give an audio squawk, and maybe flash an LED. Tags weigh 5 grams. Claims 100 meter range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loc8tor-Pet-...QAAOSwGXtXh~24

Buy one and tell me what it does!

Regards,
    Thomas of the Mechanical Mysteries
    Last edited by Captain Gizmo; 07-22-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: add data
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Dear Tom and Members,
    I've recently visited the NAFEX forum and yours was the first post I read. I have searched the web and found http://www.loc8tor.com which is the manufacturer's web site. There are also several very useful videos on You Tube which may well determine whether this item has an application for your hawking or that of others?
    Kind regards
    Alastair

Default Beeper bells with remote

I have stumbled on to a few more that might be suitable for the receiver on the hawk that beeps when you push the button on your "car door opener" transmitter.

Girafus Pro-Trac-Tor
    Cat Caller

Try to find any real information. Both claim the receiver/beeper in the 4 to 5 gram range (CR2032 batteries).

Regards
    Thomas of the Marketing Mysteries
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Dear Tom and Members,
    In an idle moment I've reviewed some of the topics which have caught my eye since joining NAFEX.
    Did the 'Loc8or' suit any hawking requirements? Some of the You tube videos were very convincing especially finding downed quad copters / drones in long vegetation.
    It appears that this topic ran out of steam quite suddenly?
    Kind regards
    Alastair

Thread Information