Thread: Captain Gizmo does fly again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Captain Gizmo does fly again

I flew Cooper's Hawks, Kestrels and an Aplomado forty years ago. I am recently retired from a career as a cell phone engineer and am getting back into active falconry. In the time between I have gone to the field with other falconers and gone to meets. I have maintained my other hobby of falconry telemetry during the entire time.

I am living in the agricultural area to the west of Phoenix, AZ. Current plan is to trap a Merlin this fall and fly mourning doves and sparrows (starlings are few and far between outside of the city areas).

I am currently doing "The Cheap Beep Project" as part of my other hobby.
    This is mainly giving workshops on DIY UHF telemetry transmitters (see Hawk Chalk April 2015 pp38). Latest project is DIY directional receiving antennas for VHF and UHF.

Tom Munson

Welcome Tom and best of luck with the merlin plans. Hope I get to see you flying one this next season.
    Jeff

Welcome Tom,
    Is there a website for the Cheap beep project? I have been working on my own on such projects. At this point, I am using sdr for receivers. The transmitters I am running are nothing special but are functional at a couple miles with an 11dbi 433 yagi. My problem so far is battery life on the transmitter.
    Take care
    Brian
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Default The Cheap Beep Project

Brian,

The Cheap Beep Project is rather non-commercial, so nothing as upscale as a website.

I have plans and kits for the 433/434 MHz transmitters. documented range is 28*. Battery life as programmed is 7 days. Kits are $15 at this point.
    I have a video on the assembly process at no charge.
    Plans for DIY yagi and quad antennas at 433 and 216 are available by email.
    Kits for the hard to get in single quantity antenna parts are available for $5 plus shipping.
    I use one of the scanners that do CW/SSB. I have a list of scanners available at best of ebay prices plus $6 shipping.

* Miles with transmitter 15' above ground, kilometers with transmitter 4 feet off ground, Furlongs if the transmitter is flat on the ground, and yards if your bird has caught a rabbit inside a steel culvert.

Tom Munson
    18806 W Chipman Rd
    Buckeye, AZ 85326
    619-379-2656
    tom@munson.us
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

I'm sending you an email now. Maybe we can discuss ideas and I would like to purchase some stuff.
    Thank you
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Tom,
    I know trapping merlins down there can be hit and miss. If things get tight, I can most certainly help out with an out of state permit here in Utah. We trap merlins by the dozens here in the Salt Lake area. We've helped a few guys from AZ in the past get a merlin here. Best of luck.
    Chris
    Utah

Default Merlin trapping

I am hoping to go local. There are a lot of dairies here on the west side of Phoenix that tend to have wintering Merlins. On the other hand if I come up dry a chance to visit Salt Lake could be a good thing.
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post
    I flew Cooper's Hawks, Kestrels and an Aplomado forty years ago. I am recently retired from a career as a cell phone engineer and am getting back into active falconry. In the time between I have gone to the field with other falconers and gone to meets. I have maintained my other hobby of falconry telemetry during the entire time.

I am living in the agricultural area to the west of Phoenix, AZ. Current plan is to trap a Merlin this fall and fly mourning doves and sparrows (starlings are few and far between outside of the city areas).

I am currently doing "The Cheap Beep Project" as part of my other hobby.
    This is mainly giving workshops on DIY UHF telemetry transmitters (see Hawk Chalk April 2015 pp38). Latest project is DIY directional receiving antennas for VHF and UHF.

Tom Munson
    Dear Tom,
    It's been months since I've been able to thank you for the information regarding the replacement charger for my old Custom Electronics receiver. I did obtain a 'bespoke' charger from LL Electronics. The wonder of it all is that the battery pack still take and holds a charge.
    Thanks again.
    Kind regards
    Alastair

Thread Information