Thread: Marshall Dog Collars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I would be surprised to see Marshall do a GPS dog product. It doesn't make business sense.
    Some years ago I talked with Wildlife Materials about plans to do GPS dog collars. By then Garmin was entering that market. They had no plans to do dog GPS based on the idea that any time they wanted to Garmin could slam all the other makers to the wall on price.

Secondly our access to Marshall grade falconry telemetry rides on the coat tails of the Persian Gulf market. Until HRH Shiek (pick one) decides he needs a couple hundred dog collars it's not going to happen.

Check up on TinyLoc if you need a GPS alternative to Garmin.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Disappointments

P.S.: I have a personal connection with a source of simple 433 and 434 MHz beep transmitters that are compatible with Marshall beep receivers. Note: You are on your own for the collar.
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post
    I would be surprised to see Marshall do a GPS dog product.

I must have worded my question incorrectly as I didn't mean if Marshall would ever make GPS collars, I meant if they would ever make them in 433 or 434 frequency instead of 216-217. I am not looking for GPS collars, just something I can track my dogs with. And you do know that the GPS transmitters are also in a 433 or 434 frequency Tom? LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post

P.S.: I have a personal connection with a source of simple 433 and 434 MHz beep transmitters that are compatible with Marshall beep receivers. Note: You are on your own for the collar.
    Could you have your connection make a couple 434 transmitters and incase them in some type of velco wrap (see the MarcoPolo product I mentioned in my original post) that I can attach to a couple collars? If I go to the NAFA meet, you can introduce me to your connection and I will buy them off of him! LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Could you have your connection make a couple 434 transmitters and incase them in some type of velco wrap (see the MarcoPolo product I mentioned in my original post) that I can attach to a couple collars? If I go to the NAFA meet, you can introduce me to your connection and I will buy them off of him! LOL
    Fred,

No problem. Transmitter $30. NRE to first article on the little ballistic nylon case $1,030. Nylon cases $20 per for further copies (minimum order 100 pieces).

More economical would be a CBP transmitter at $30, put a few holes in your existing collar and fasten the transmitter to it with half a dozen small zip ties. The flat form factor makes it easy to do. Equally a Marshall UHF Scout with a leg mount loop on the case is flat form factor and would work just fine with a few zip ties, and you wouldn't need to undo the zip tie at the bewit loop to change the battery.

And about my suggestion to check on TinyLoc. They have 433-434 MHz "Minihond" collars for E75 vat incl. (Oops, they are out of stock just now). Uses two AAA batteries. The 430-439 MHz beep receiver is E450 vat incl.(supposedly in stock). Great form factor for someone who wants to carry a receiver in the field when working a shortwing in heavy cover.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Detachments
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Fred, a UHF Scout transmitter attached to your favorite dog collar with heat shrink works great. A friend in Nebraska turned me on to doing it this way. You can apply heat shrink in 2 pieces—-1 over the first half of the antenna and 1 over the body of the transmitter. Simply cut off the piece over the transmitter when you need new batteries and replace. Marshall will eventually have UHF dog collars but not anytime soon.
    Tim Sullivan, DVM

Thread Information