Thread: Greetings from Maine! Looking for Mainers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings from Maine! Looking for Mainers

Hi all,

I'm a student in Portland from the Salt Institute and I'm looking to make a documentary on falconing. I was wondering if any Maine falconers out there would be willing to help out, give some info, and talk about the subject.

Thanks! Message me if any of you all have any info.

Lucas

Hi Lucas, Welcome to NAFEX. You might have better luck in your search if you explain to everybody what the documentary is for. How is it to be used, etc...
    Falconers as a whole can be leary of anybody wanting to film/document what we do.

Also, you might try contacting the state club and see if they can help you in any way.

There is alot of good information here on this site to get you started. Such as...what we do is refereed to as Falconry, not falconing.

Falconry is the art of taking a bird of prey and catching wild quary/game with it. Depending where you look, this definition will vary some, but the idea is still the same.

The modern apprentice site is also good for understanding the basics behind this sport.

Again, welcome to NAFEX
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Default Clarification

Thank you for the advice, dirthawking.

My goal is to produce a six minute multimedia documentary on falconry in Maine.

This documentary is being produced for the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies, a non profit school in Portland, ME. I am currently enrolled in the radio documentaries program.

The material is not being sold or being produced for profit.

I aim to meet up with any interested falconers who would like to share what they do and their sport.

Thanks to all who are interested in helping out.

A good person to talk to would be Scott McNeff (http://www.nafex.net/member.php?u=1060) he's from Maine and he posts here regularly. He posted a photo documentary that someone made of him hunting squirrels in the Maine woods. As I understand it the Maine falconry community is very conservative and hesitant about videos of the sport, don't be surprised if you run into some obstacles.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Lucas,

Paul is right... we're a pretty conservative bunch up here. Feel free to contact me and we can talk, but what you're talking about doing has already been done. Samantha Broun and Amanda Kowalski followed me around for about a week with cameras and microphones and produced a piece that is exactly what you're talking about. I'll contact them and see if they can send you a link of the piece that they put together.

I can tell you that if you contact the Maine Falconry and Raptor Conservancy, you wont have any luck getting anyone to work with you.
    PM me and I'll get back to you when I get a moment.

Glad to hear that you're interested in our sport.

-Scott McNeff
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Lucas,....

Here you go man;

http://www.soundlightmedia.com/?page_id=200
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Thread Information