Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Iowa

Default Hello from Iowa

Hello:
    Im new to Falconry, have always been fascinated by it. However until my kids were raised I didn't have time. Now that I do, I would like to learn and eventually be involved with the sport.
    J

Glad to have you here. We like for you to use a real first name. Kind of like a family here. Ask any questions you have. There are some great falconers on here and guys that specialize in almost any bird you can think of. Lots of retail flyers on here.
    Thanks,
    Wes

J
    There are a lot of post that you can go back over. There is some real good reading. A lot of subject have covered in the past.
    Have fun!
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

My real name is just as bad as the other name. Its Jauson.. Ju-s-son... but French..so the Ju... is really more like a Ja.... however Im from N.Am... ( You ask for it LOL) Glad this group is more like family as I do have allot to learn. I don't want to get in trouble for asking questions.. because I will ask.
    Im an animal trainer by trade. The birds of pray have always been a fascination of mine, yet the one animal I have never had a chance to get my hands on. Now with my sons grown.. I have cut down on other animals and have the time it will take to dedicate my self to this dream. Here in IA pray is year round. Rabbits are year round.. just here on the ranch is plenty.
    I know little about hawk behavior. All I know is from reading, or the one wild one I had for over 5yrs. I say had.. I use that term loosely. I assume wild Red Tails are territorial. I say this because my hawk ( or maybe I was his?) would keep other hawks away. The deal was I would feed him, and he kept other birds of pray from eating my chickens.. and he was full so really didn't have the urge. Thats all I know about birds of pray.. they take bribes.
    If there is someone close.. or a school I would like to know about it. I would love to just observe for a while.
    Jauson

Yes... I have been reading now for a few hours and will not get through them all tonight. You all really have very informative posts.. can't stop reading..

Jauson. Yes there is a lot of info that has been typed the last few years - wow has it been that long. Family is right. This forum helped my apprenticeship ALOT!!!

I recommend contacting your state club. Falconers always need others to beat brush. And if you have bunnies available that should help alot.

I'm sure this has all been mentioned before.

Good luck and ask away. No one here ever said I asked a stupid question - or at least not publicly.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

No.. that hasn't been mentioned before. I don't even know where to find a state club? I have Googled Iowa falconry on more then one occasion only to get cars. I will try and figure out how to post photos and post a pic of the bunnies I have round here.. We have cotton tails too.. everywhere.. PLEASE come hunt them!

Default Iowa bunnies

This is my 30" Standard Poodle I use for hunting. She is with a half grown Flemish Giant.. Im sure If nothing else I can use the Flemish for food for the birds when pray is scarce.. I have just never known it to be scare around here.
    I put 2 links because I don't know how this forum works yet and I hope one of them does.

http://www.iowafalconer.com/

I hope this works. There is a contact page available with everything you should need to get started. Good luck. Love the pic there BTW. That's different than what most post. Usually the dog is chasing and trying to catch the rabbit!!
    Last edited by kimmerar; 06-16-2008 at 02:00 AM.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Yes the link worked.. Thank you VERY much.. now I have something to do other then sleep tonight *grins*

Lacy does hunt, she will flush birds, retrieve in water, and land, as well as tree coon. I train animals so I have Longhorn cattle and buffalo that you can ride, and they do tricks.. the rabbit is potty trained and everyone gets along.. its just part of the way the house is set up. My(out door) cat even babysits the baby chicks. Ok.. so we all need therapy LOL.. but the dog does hunt.. just only when told. After all any good hunter will not take it upon them selves to run a muck.. they will wait to be ask to hunt, and possibly even what they may hunt. Lacey is no different.

Jauson:
    That would be different, riding a buffalo instead of a horse to hunt off from. Harry M would love to see that. Jauson be sure and sigh your post, this can be done auto by going in to the User CP. Better watch out if you have rabbit you will draw gamehawker<G>. Have fun and try and get some sleep

Will do about signing my post. Thanks for letting me learn kindly...
    I think what attracts me the most to the birds is the fact I have worked with many wild animals. They don't "train" per-say but agree to comply. You share them, or their space in a way I think you all can understand.. but a dog owner would not.
    I have been a hunter ever since I was 7 and my Dad propped a .22 up on a fence post for me. When you add the skill of hunting with the relationship of the bird.. its attractive to me. Then.. there is the fact its a bird. It is free to leave and never return, (yes like the other animals.. but still different somehow) The fact food is survival, and it hunts for man. I don't want to walk through this life with out experiencing that relationship. There is a knowledge there that only each bird can teach me. I can't imagine spending years on this earth, and never experiencing that.

Here is a pic of Freedom, my favorite riding steer bowing.

Jauson

Jauson:
    Great photo, some could say thats a lot of bull. <G> How does the steer ride compared to a horse?

I started riding steers after a bad accident that left me in horrible back pain. This was 1999.. Im fine now..but.. The horses spook.. this is bad if you already hurt and are just trying to stay put in the saddle. Horses rear.. again.. not the best thing if your already in pain. Horses are bumpy.. this brought me to tears when I would just walk down the road. When I started riding steers I loved it. I could still ride down by the river, go mushroom hunting in places I could never get to any other way. I could still hunt and pack in.. My life wasn't crippled just because I was. Steers are much safer! I have also used them in endurance and found when conditioned they can go 25 miles a day, every day vs the 50 I put on my horse. Still.. 25 miles isn't bad and knowing I will not be tossed in the dirt, drug.. or in need of a pick up 10 counties away.. I can compromise with that. *grins* I do still own a very nice horse that takes very good care of me. Im sure when I get to hunting with a bird it will be him I use due to the need for speed. I can't wait for the day that my dog, my horse/steer and the bird and I can all go out and enjoy the day together, work together...
    (Jauson)

I posted some pictures of my old Hawk on the Red Tail board.. Just in case anyone likes photos?
    (Jauson)

Quote Originally Posted by Wakinyeja View Post
    I can't wait for the day that my dog, my horse/steer and the bird and I can all go out and enjoy the day together, work together...
    That is a great visual. I really hope that all works out for you. I want to see pics of that set up. Sounds like a wonderful plan.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Thanks to you all I have made contact with the Iowa club and written for the suggested information.. books that they advised. I think I should read all of what was suggested before looking for a mentor. So for now.. waiting for books to arrive. And reading all I can.
    (Jauson)

I can't wait for the day that my dog, my horse/steer and the bird and I can all go out and enjoy the day together, work together...
    Cool - a ride with two built in perches! Will a steer let you wrap their horns in astroturf?

.... go mushroom hunting in places I could never get to any other way.
    Ah hah! Finally a good use for a Red Shoulder!

Sorry - probably should have taken my meds this morning. Don't ban me Wes.

-Ted

Never tried astro turf.. His name is Freedom and I have wrapped them in bells so "Freedom could ring" Im sure he would like the astro turf better..
    (Jauson)

Jauson
    5 years ago I put in three different material on my perches, Astro turf, stadium turf and rope. I had been using Astro turf for over 25 years with no problem. I kept hearing how good the other material was, I changed back to Astro turf this spring. No more changes for me. JMO

When the wonderful day comes that I get my first bird.. I will remember that.. Thanks
    (Jauson)

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    We like for you to use a real first name. Kind of like a family here. Ask any questions you have.
    Ahh yes, nothing warms the soul like fond memories of the family gatherings. The crazy brother-in-law (after too much beer) prattling on in the corner about the oddest things , getting grounded for smacking the little brothers around , and half the people staying on one side of the room to avoid the other half . lmao It's amazing I grew up to be so well maladjusted as I did. lol Very sorry, I had to say it. I just couldn't help myself with all the mentioning of being a family style atmosphere on here. Sad thing is though, that is a typical holiday at the parents' house. Well atleast now that my little brothers and I are older, I don't get grounded anymore. lol
    -Paul-
    "Nicht meine Schuld! Ich bin doch nur ein wildes Tier."

Quote Originally Posted by pjdonat View Post
    Ahh yes, nothing warms the soul like fond memories of the family gatherings. The crazy brother-in-law (after too much beer) prattling on in the corner about the oddest things , getting grounded for smacking the little brothers around , and half the people staying on one side of the room to avoid the other half . lmao It's amazing I grew up to be so well maladjusted as I did. lol Very sorry, I had to say it. I just couldn't help myself with all the mentioning of being a family style atmosphere on here. Sad thing is though, that is a typical holiday at the parents' house. Well atleast now that my little brothers and I are older, I don't get grounded anymore. lol
    -Paul-
    That is pretty funny Paul and pretty accurate. So in that vein, it is definitely a family atmosphere here
    Thanks,
    Wes

Sweet, I call dibs on the crazy brother-in-law spot. Got my Black Velvet and Crown Royal ready to go. lol I can't do beer. Most of it gives me a wicked headache after about half way through number two. Plus there are far fewer carbs in whiskey. HOOORAY FOR WHISKEY!!!!! lmao
    -Paul-

Isn't it the cwazy relative that is the one that saves you from boredom at family dinners? Im absolutely sure it is the drunk relative that tells the stuffy Aunt just how stuffy she is and makes everyone laugh.. so ya.. your cool.. Good relative to have around *smiles*
    (Jauson)

I could only wish my sister's husband were cool like that. He usually gets more vocal on how great he is with each beer. He doesn't seem to understand the old expression, "You can polish a turd, but it still smells." frus
    -Paul-

Oh, I almost forgot, when I am generally telling someone how stuffy they are I generally play to their arrogance and insult them to their face by cracking jokes that they generally don't seem to realize is at their expense. Plus I do it sober, it makes it more fun that way. Like the song says "Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein."
    -Paul-

Default Thankyou all

I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought why not on my old HI Ya'all thread.

Thank you everyone that has helped me to get started on something I have wanted since I visited the AF academy at age 7. Living in Iowa with Red Tails everywhere.. it just seemed like something huge was missing.
    Thanks to this board I found someone, also apprenticing, Just a few miles away. Out here in no mans land.. thats a real feat. His sponsor has one opening.. so.. Im hoping.. cross your fingers, he will take me when Im ready and have my mews done and test taken.
    This kind stranger has offered to help with my mews, has showed me how equipment is used and so on.. all because of this board..
    Im sure others have benefited.. I also know how much time it takes to maintain this board.. so .. Thank you..
    Jauson
    (Jauson)

I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought why not on my old HI Ya'all thread.

Thank you everyone that has helped me to get started on something I have wanted since I visited the AF academy at age 7. Living in Iowa with Red Tails everywhere.. it just seemed like something huge was missing.
    Thanks to this board I found someone, also apprenticing, Just a few miles away. Out here in no mans land.. thats a real feat. His sponsor has one opening.. so.. Im hoping.. cross your fingers, he will take me when Im ready and have my mews done and test taken.
    This kind stranger has offered to help with my mews, has showed me how equipment is used and so on.. all because of this board..
    Im sure others have benefited.. I also know how much time it takes to maintain this board.. so .. Thank you..
    Jauson
    Jauson,

I'm glad you found some folks to help you get started. I think you already have a good base to build on. You understand the central premise of falconry: "hawks take bribes," you know how to hunt, and you have experience getting animals to cooperate with you. I think you should do well.

I like the picture of your saddle steer. I've been curious about riding steers lately, and I also got bored and built a cart for my pointer to pull me around in. I've read that people have trained moose for riding and pulling. Moose come into my yard and they are so impressive that they make my imagination run away. Have you heard of this?
    Dave

Thank you.. Steers are awesome.. really. try www.ridingsteers.com you may enjoy it. We also have a nice message board with many good people. I have a wagon for my Standard Poodle as well. She is HUGE and to have a cart.. well.. *faints* I was born with out the "fix it" gene.. so can't drive a nail. Would love to see a pic of yours however. I think animals are happier when they have a job. Even birds of pray that just hunt, and sleep.. they hunt.. thats their job and thats when they are happiest.
    Im happiest when Im reaping the rewards of their joy *grins*

by the way.. Im a moose freak too, would have one but summers would kill them in Iowa Im afraid. Google Moose, then do the Images thing and you will see a guy that uses a bull moose to do draft work, He's a nice guy.. you can write him.
    (Jauson)

Thank you.. Steers are awesome.. really. try www.ridingsteers.com you may enjoy it. We also have a nice message board with many good people. I have a wagon for my Standard Poodle as well. She is HUGE and to have a cart.. well.. *faints* I was born with out the "fix it" gene.. so can't drive a nail. Would love to see a pic of yours however. I think animals are happier when they have a job. Even birds of pray that just hunt, and sleep.. they hunt.. thats their job and thats when they are happiest.
    Im happiest when Im reaping the rewards of their joy *grins*

by the way.. Im a moose freak too, would have one but summers would kill them in Iowa Im afraid. Google Moose, then do the Images thing and you will see a guy that uses a bull moose to do draft work, He's a nice guy.. you can write him.
    Thanks for the info on the steers and moose. On a PBS documentary about the building of the Trans Canadian Railroad, they showed a photo of two moose hitched to a freight wagon.

Here's a pic of the dog cart. It's just a small garden cart with a boat seat, dorsal hitch, and bicycle brakes added. The hitch is made from 3/4" EMT (electrical conduit). The harness is a skijoring harness with extra padding added.

Dave

Wow Dave. I just dont even know what to say. Thats awesome!
    Its a shame you dont have more spare time on your hands. I think serious competitive moose-driving might be right up your alley.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Thats awesome.. I love that.. how cool! sad things is Im so inept when it comes to building anything.. the part where you said what you used.. Im like Charley Brown.. all I heard was "blah blah blah" I did hear garden cart though.. we have an old fashion black smith here.. maybe he could help me? Honestly I love being single when its dinner time and I don't have to cook.. but it stinks when I want something built *grins*
    How does your dog like it? Looks like his is a husky fellow
    (Jauson)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    Wow Dave. I just dont even know what to say. Thats awesome!
    Its a shame you dont have more spare time on your hands. I think serious competitive moose-driving might be right up your alley.
    Hey.. thats a sport I could get into.. Serious competitive Moose driving.. Oh ya.. I can see a team of those big boys at the draft pulls now..

You really should not give people like us any more ideas then we already have.. you do know that... right?
    (Jauson)

I have a big percheron and I've gone to a couple pulls (as a spectator). My horse drives but I never have. I always would think about it though because my Cutie is a really high strung draft like the horses I've seen at the pulls. In fact the last one I went to one of the belgiums stroked out after the first round right there waiting to do the second. People think of drafts as mellow. Some of them are wound up as tight as an arab.
    At that last pull though, they had a competition between a team of belgiums and a team of oxen. The horses won, but those oxen were certainly powerful.
    I'd watch competetive moose-driving on the Ocho (ESPN 8) PMSL.
    Last edited by Zarafia; 09-03-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Thread Information